Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

head gasket BMW 318i

Options
  • 08-12-2009 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi seems i not the only one in hot water with head gasket problem does any one know how much a 1999 bmw 318i head gasket replacment would be and any good garage who would replace sorry if im in the wrong place new to all this

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I just moved your post to a new thread. May as well start a new thread if your car is different to the one in the original thread. Anyway, welcome, and i'm sure there'll be someone around shortly with a helpful response.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

peterg15c wrote: »
    hi seems i not the only one in hot water with head gasket problem does any one know how much a 1999 bmw 318i head gasket replacment would be and any good garage who would replace sorry if im in the wrong place new to all this

Who says its gone? What are your symptoms? Is it an E36 or E46?

At an indy you'd be looking at anywhere from €700 / €800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peterg15c

hi it an e46 and dont know for sure its gone but symtoms seem to suggest it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

CHECK WATER PUMP OUT! dont just listen to guy say no its not the water pump,, check it out,, i mean take it out and look at it!
    my bmw was over heating and i thought head gasket was gone,
    but no it was the water pump,
    my bmw had plastic fins in water pump and they had broken in bits,
    i,m not saying this is prob with your car,
    but you need to check it out,
    if you head gasket is gone there would normally be oil in water, is there?
    hows the heater in your car? stick working,,, or not working?
    it its not working again could be the water pump,,,although a head gasket can do that to,

hi it an e46 and dont know for sure its gone but symtoms seem to suggest it is

Maybe tell us the symptoms??

The M43 engine is quite reliable. The E46 can be a real pain cause of all the "push" fit connections on it. Over time the o-rings go hard and don't seal too well. The expansion tanks & rad also give in. There is also an "L" shaped pipe on the back of the head, if its leaking the water drips onto the gear box so is very hard to spot.

Don't believe a "sniff" test they are not that reliable. A leak down test is the best thing to do.

• Advertisement

hello and thanks to every one for replying , the symtons i have are car uses lots of antifreeze and water heater works and car does not overheat also some oil leakage

hello and thanks to every one for replying , the symtons i have are car uses lots of antifreeze and water heater works and car does not overheat also some oil leakage

Have you checked where the oil filter housing meets the block for the oil leak? There's a one way valve in behind it and the o-rings that seal it go hard over time and shrink. The part costs about €2.50.

Have you checked the "L" shape pipe at the back of the engine? As i mentioned above its hard to spot this one as the coolant runs off along the bell housing / gear box.

You'll need to get the cooling system pressure tested and see if you can spot the leak. Also a leak down test on each cylinder will prove if the HG is ok. I wouldn't be going taking the head off the engine until at least a leak down test is done.

thanks dd i will try find garage to check out your advice as im a complete novice again thanks all for your advice

Advertisement