Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit Question?

Options
  • 07-12-2009 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

My BB provider who I wont name cos generally its a good service..sent a email of sunday evening that because of christmas they where collecting direct debits a bit early..fine except the date proposed was Monday..Surely Direct Debit go through regardless of Holidays..I know my rent is taken same day every month for last 3 year without exception..
    Not a huge deal but given that I have paid off e350 this month after they not me had a screwup and didnt charge for a few months...
    Can they just do whatever they want?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They have to give 14 days notice on a direct debit, so if they've done that, then yes they can. If not, then they shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Direct Debit will only be processed by the banks on work days and your provider has to notify you two weeks ahead (as Jor El pointed out) of taking payment, including how much they are taking.

Any other way violates their direct debit obligations.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Call them and ask that they suspend the DD request pending a postal order or CC payment made by you to them at a more convenient time.
    Ask what the exact due date is and make your own arrangements to pay them.
    As they are going around the DD rules in general, they should accept this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lawrenceSummer

why dont you cancel the DD and pay the bill when it suits you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

why dont you cancel the DD and pay the bill when it suits you

Be careful with this as there are a fair number of issues with re-instating Direct Debits, and obviously the BB provider's system is quite old as they need to manually bring all payments forward to accomodate the holidays.
    If you cancel the mandate the company could suspend your account stating that you've breached the terms of your contract or you could end up getting dunning letters reminding you to pay up each month which depending on their credit control provider, might count against your credit rating in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement