Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing for comics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

thanks for the post, though most of the articles seem more concerned with the art of storytelling rather than the technique of comic writing.

Do you know any good articles about comic writing? Specifically camera angles and stuff?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Memnoch wrote: »
    thanks for the post, though most of the articles seem more concerned with the art of storytelling rather than the technique of comic writing.

Do you know any good articles about comic writing? Specifically camera angles and stuff?

I don't know any off the top of my head, though I'll have a rifle through the couple of books I've got lying around and see what they mention. To a certain extent you may also want to look for general screenwriting tips as there may be a lot of useful advice that carries over well from TV/film scripts to comics.

I'll have a dig around and see what I can find that might be useful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Further to my previous post, I found a couple of things that might be useful:

ComicBookScriptArchive.com - a collection of scripts from a variety of high-profile comics writers. This looks like the sort of site I'll be making heavy use of in the near future, because it's amazing how much you can learn from reading scripts like this (though to get the full benefit you've also got to compare the script to the final comic).

Dark Horse Writer Submissions Style Guide (NOTE: PDF Link, best to right-click and "save as...") A pretty good indication as to the correct format & layout for submitting scripts formally to publishers. Not necessarily going to help you get better, though.

Barry Lyga on writing comics - a pretty good breakdown of what to do and not to do when writing comic scripts, including a comparison (with examples) of Full Script vs. Plot-Art-Dialogue Script as approaches to writing.

Kurt Busiek on Writing for comics - this seems pretty good regardless of whether you like Busiek's work itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Patrick Brown

If you're prepared to go offline and read a book, Scott McCloud's "Making Comics" is very good for that sort of thing, discussing the various effects your panel choices can have and the like.

If you're prepared to go offline and read a book, Scott McCloud's "Making Comics" is very good for that sort of thing, discussing the various effects your panel choices can have and the like.

Yeah, I'll second that - in fact, I reckon all of McCloud's books are worth reading (even Reinventing Comics, whether or not you agree with his ideas, is still good to get the ol' brain matter focused on what comics can be).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RuneKnight3

As a related question, are there any articles or sources for how or where to get into the business of writing for comics and (hopefully) getting paid for it? I can write, but have nowhere to promote or offer my work to an artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Patrick Brown

I don't think there's a single "way in" to professional comics. This site has the submission guidelines for lots of publishers, but as far as I can tell the main rule is network and get yourself known. PJ Holden once told me there are three things editors want a creator to be - easy to work with, good and quick - and if you can manage two out of three you'll get work.

One way to get yourself known is to do small press work, and if you write but don't draw that means working with artists. If you don't know any you could try submitting scripts to somewhere like FutureQuake or Accent UK, who produce themed small press anthologies and might be able to match a script to an artist. Alternatively there are places like DeviantArt, or if you're prepared to venture into the real world, there might be a pub meet or collective near you.

Jason Aaron's most recent column at CBR talks about how to find your voice as a writer; it's not exactly an in-depth piece but it's certainly interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jacsruny

Comic is such a good time pass for everyone, in the book there is more important part is writing, the writer can use the many think in that book, when you writing for a comic book you must have all information about that topic and also know that what you write in that book.

Advertisement