Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feast of immaculate conception

Options
  • 07-12-2009 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Anybody apart from Roman Catholics celebrating the feast of the immaculate conception tomorrow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Not that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Only some of de facto catholics who are not in full communion with Rome like Old Catholics and Anglo Catholics but still not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Slav wrote: »
    Only some of de facto catholics who are not in full communion with Rome like Old Catholics and Anglo Catholics but still not all of them.
    Huh?

The feast of the Immaculate Conception is a holy day of obligation in Ireland and probably all over the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

See

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/2009/12/8th-december-feast-of-immaculate.html

kelly1 wrote: »
    Huh?

The feast of the Immaculate Conception is a holy day of obligation in Ireland and probably all over the world!

So, true, but just now am fasting from mass. Like many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

kelly1 wrote: »
    Huh?

Er, maybe you should have read the OP before answering? The question was about anyone other than Roman Catholics celebrating the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

PDN wrote: »
    Er, maybe you should have read the OP before answering? The question was about anyone other than Roman Catholics celebrating the day.

Happens to the best of us :S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

PDN wrote: »

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Also don't alot of people get the immaculate conception and the virgin birth mixed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Also don't alot of people get the immaculate conception and the virgin birth mixed up?
    Yes, some think it refers to the immaculate conception of Jesus, which is Biblical, but it actually refers to the Roman Catholic dogma that asserts the immaculate conception of Mary, the mother of Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 janeeen

where in the bible dose it say immaculate conception of mary?

• Advertisement

janeeen wrote: »
    where in the bible dose it say immaculate conception of mary?
    It doesn't. That is another of Rome's pagan inventions (the term they use is Tradition). All part of the Mother Goddess myth. No wonder some Muslims think the Christian Trinity is the Father, Mary and Jesus. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Reported this post as grossly offensive to Catholics here .
    wolfsbane wrote: »
    It doesn't. That is another of Rome's pagan inventions (the term they use is Tradition). All part of the Mother Goddess myth. No wonder some Muslims think the Christian Trinity is the Father, Mary and Jesus. :(

Graces7 wrote: »
    Reported this post as grossly offensive to Catholics here .
    No problem. I find many things grossly offensive to me, but others are perfectly entitled to hold them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Let's try tone it down there a bit! You can make your points in a way that wont cause offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

thats not in the least bit offensive. If i was to open up on the whole immaculate conception you lot would tell me to burn in hell :D. But out of live and let live everyone is entitled to their beliefs as long as they dont push on others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭postcynical

This is certainly an instance where Rome is divided from the rest of the church. As I understand it, the teaching comes as a logical consequence of Mary being free from sin coupled with the (speculative?) theory of original sin. I'm surprised this teaching is dogmatic as the reasoning is not quite convincing. It's not fundamental to my faith so not too important, but is fundamental to my church's claims of infallibility.

I read elsewhere that some Orthodox Christians also believe that Mary was without sin, but reject this dogma on the basis that if God had "designed" Mary to be free from sin, then this undermines her fiat. This argument is very powerful IMO. While the two can be reconciled, surely the focus should be on Mary saying "Let it be done according to thy word", rather than on her predisposition to hear this Word.

As for the Muslims, I understand that many sects in the near East venerate Mary and some Christian churches have survived in these regions in part because of local Muslim marianism, especially amongst expectant mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

I read elsewhere that some Orthodox Christians also believe that Mary was without sin, but reject this dogma on the basis that if God had "designed" Mary to be free from sin, then this undermines her fiat.

I think the main objection from the Orthodox side would be undermining of Incarnation and Atonement: if God can create a sinless human then there would be no need in Christ.

So although it's not a dogma the Orthodox still believe that Theotokos did not sin however not because of her own special "design" but only because of her bond with Christ and God's care about her. As for her human nature it is no different from ours.

Advertisement