Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To buy or not to buy before Dec 31st

Options
  • 07-12-2009 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I need to get a used car in the next month or so. Some people say I should wait until after Jan 1st so that any car will obviously be a year 'older'. However others suggest going in now while the dealers are desperate to make any sale at all whereas in January they may have sold a few new models and not be as inclined to take the hand off me when I walk in the door. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Firstly wait until Wednesday until we see what the budget brings in relation to carbon tax, etc. and work out your running costs after that. Secondly I would gladly buy a used car in Dec as many people have that 'hang on until Jan' buzz going on in their heads. You are just as likely to get a good, if not better, deal in Dec as everyone wants a little cash in this side of Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dubman09

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to hold off till Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It takes long enough to find the right used car anyway, without introducing further constraints. I've been looking for a good 98-02 Subaru Forester for a friend for a couple of months now, finally found the right car at the right price and will be collecting it on Thursday. OP, i'd start looking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Anan1 wrote: »
    It takes long enough to find the right used car anyway, without introducing further constraints. I've been looking for a good 98-02 Subaru Forester for a friend for a couple of months now, finally found the right car at the right price and will be collecting it on Thursday. OP, i'd start looking now.

I'd second that, if you look now there will be less competition for the right car. If you wait until January, there will be lots of people looking and a simple thing like just one other person ringing up enquiring about a car you're interested in could make the seller a little more bullish about the price.

Advertisement