Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession proof skiing breaks

Options
  • 07-12-2009 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

What are people's suggestions?

To include cheap flilght destination, easy / cheap transfer or car rental, cheap accomodation, cheap skiing and cheap grub?

Oh, and cheap beer....:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I fly to Paris, get an overnight train to the Alps, so I'm saving a night's accommodation either way. Ask in hotel/B&B/hostel about reductions on lift pass, they can usually give you a voucher that's worth 10-20% off. Ask locally about best place to hire skis. Generally the ones that are not beside the ski lift are way cheaper.

Eat a big breakfast, carry chocolate/energy bar and snack during day until dinner. The set Menu is generally excellent value.

Look for the backdoors to the big resorts. For instance, Orelle links into the 3 vallees. Or Vallaroger for Les Arcs, or Tasch for Zermatt. Bruson for Verbier.

Look for resorts with youth hostels, they are often really cheap, good craic, and even had a decent bar.

Look out for resorts that are not on the International resort list. Everyone has heard of Les 3 vallees, not everyone knows of Val Cenis or Valloire or Le Corbier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

EileenG wrote: »
    I fly to Paris, get an overnight train to the Alps, so I'm saving a night's accommodation either way.

yeah I remember you saying that last season Eileen, you really are tough as nuts, and if I'm not mistaken you've the kids in tow too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

a147pro wrote: »
    What are people's suggestions?

To include cheap flilght destination, easy / cheap transfer or car rental, cheap accomodation, cheap skiing and cheap grub?

Oh, and cheap beer....:D

Cheap flight...
    Going Out
    Adult 5.00 EUR
    Tue, Jan 19Flight FR2412 09:20 12:35 Depart Arrive Dublin (DUB)Memmingen (Munich West) (FMM)
    Coming Back
    Adult 5.00 EUR
    Tue, Jan 26 Flight FR2413 13:00 14:15 Depart Arrive Memmingen (Munich West) (FMM) Dublin (DUB)
    Pricing
    Going Out (Web Fare)
    1 Adult @ 5.00 EUR 5.00 EUR Taxes/Fees details 0.00 EUR
    Coming Back (Web Fare)
    2 x (Free Web Check in ) 0.00 EUR
    Total Cost of Flight €10.00 EUR
    Credit card fee €10.00 EUR
    Total €20.00 EUR

Cheap transfer, up to 5 people for €28 each way!!!!! http://www.inside-munich.com/bayernticket.html

Accomodation-Food-& Ski pass (even though you didn't ask;))
    Beautiful Lodge
    Alpinkristall am Fellhorn
    19.01.2010 - 26.02.2010
    7 nights
    from 380.00 € / person
    including accommodation with half board

There is a much cheaper deal for groups, 6 of us are staying in an apartment in march for €57/night + tax. http://blattner-fewo.de/

7 nights with half pay only 6 days for 380€, included in the price of 6 days lift pass the breakfast buffet and dinner with a 3 course menu and salad buffet, use of our wellness area with sauna and infrared are also included in the price

Ski Hire from €10/day (although its not the best quality) http://www.neue-skischule-oberstdorf.de/

Beer in the supermarket starts at 17cent !!!

All in for a week €490 in great accomodation with sauna etc and food.

I fly to Paris, get an overnight train to the Alps, so I'm saving a night's accommodation either way.

Would love to try this out, maybe next year !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

Cheap flight...
    Going Out
    Adult 5.00 EUR
    Tue, Jan 19Flight FR2412 09:20 12:35 Depart Arrive Dublin (DUB)Memmingen (Munich West) (FMM)
    Coming Back
    Adult 5.00 EUR
    Tue, Jan 26 Flight FR2413 13:00 14:15 Depart Arrive Memmingen (Munich West) (FMM) Dublin (DUB)
    Pricing
    Going Out (Web Fare)
    Coming Back (Web Fare)
    2 x (Free Web Check in ) 0.00 EUR
    Total €20.00 EUR

Cheap transfer, up to 5 people for €28 each way!!!!! http://www.inside-munich.com/bayernticket.html

Accomodation-Food-& Ski pass (even though you didn't ask;))
    Beautiful Lodge
    19.01.2010 - 26.02.2010
    7 nights
    from 380.00 € / person

There is a much cheaper deal for groups, 6 of us are staying in an apartment in march for €57/night + tax. http://blattner-fewo.de/

7 nights with half pay only 6 days for 380€, included in the price of 6 days lift pass the breakfast buffet and dinner with a 3 course menu and salad buffet, use of our wellness area with sauna and infrared are also included in the price

Ski Hire from €10/day (although its not the best quality) http://www.neue-skischule-oberstdorf.de/

Beer in the supermarket starts at 17cent !!!

All in for a week €490 in great accomodation with sauna etc and food.

17 cent beers! why did you book a return flight?

thats great thanks, how is the skiing though?

anyone else any rivals?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

R
    Total €20.00 EUR

whats pathetic is the credit card charge is the same as the flight!!!

yeah I remember you saying that last season Eileen, you really are tough as nuts, and if I'm not mistaken you've the kids in tow too?

By far the easiest way to travel with kids. As soon as they get on the train, they are busy making up their couchettes, brushing teeth etc, then they go to bed and get up as we arrive at skiing. No whining about "I'm bored, are we there yet?" Of course, a decent night cap is a great asset.

Open a virtual credit card with entropay.com. You load it from your regular card, and they charge 5% per transaction, but it means you can click the "electron visa" option and there's no credit card charge. For the Ryanair cheapies, it's a huge saving. I went to London last Thursday for 20 cent return, and it really was 20 cent return.

17 cent beers! why did you book a return flight? :D

thats great thanks, how is the skiing though?

anyone else any rivals?

I cannot compare oberstdorf to any other area, I've never been anywhere else :o next year I intend to venture out.
    Yea, but, I've no problem with a flight for €20 regardless of how they divide it up. Its thanks to Michael O'Leary most of us are able to get to the slopes at all, if Aer Lingus still had their way it would be €500 + for the flights.

Open a virtual credit card with entropay.com. You load it from your regular card, and they charge 5% per transaction, but it means you can click the "electron visa" option and there's no credit card charge. For the Ryanair cheapies, it's a huge saving. I went to London last Thursday for 20 cent return, and it really was 20 cent return.

I heard that this is stopping at the end of Dec :(

• Advertisement

i dont have a credit card so i use paypal cause i can transfer money from my bank acc in to my paypal one!!! neither myself or a bank would trust me with a credit card!!!

when it comes to flights ect i use someone elses!!!

20c to london...thats amazing!!!

just as a matter of interest what good resorts are near munic cause the flights for the time I'm going away are €26.99 out and €5 back...would sicken me if i could have got a cheaper DIY holiday!!!

just as a matter of interest what good resorts are near munic cause the flights for the time I'm going away are €26.99 out and €5 back...would sicken me if i could have got a cheaper DIY holiday!!!

Garmisch or Soll are pretty close, and Kitzbuhel is not that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

supposedly you are able to purchase ryanair gift vouchers and if you use them for paying for a flight then you are not charged for the credit card fee handling fee of a tenner which they charge everyone. so if you get lucky and find one of their flights with "free taxes and fares" it might actually mean that you can get the cheap flight and avoid one of the many extras included in their fantastic service.... but unless you car avoid their €80 price tag on a round flight with a boardbag its not really worth your while...

granty1987 wrote: »
    supposedly you are able to purchase ryanair gift vouchers and if you use them for paying for a flight then you are not charged for the credit card fee handling fee of a tenner which they charge everyone. so if you get lucky and find one of their flights with "free taxes and fares" it might actually mean that you can get the cheap flight and avoid one of the many extras included in their fantastic service.... but unless you car avoid their €80 price tag on a round flight with a boardbag its not really worth your while...

The trouble with the vouchers it hat you can only use four at a time, and you don't get change. If your flight costs less than the voucher, you are out the difference, and if it costs more than your four vouchers, you have to pay the balance by credit card and pay the credit card fee as well.

I tried the vouchers last year and it cost me a fortune. Wouldn't go near them again except maybe as a present for someone I knew would use them. There's a time limit on them too, so think hard before you buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 T1978

Getting back on track here:

Am_I_Bovvered u said:

Accomodation-Food-& Ski pass (even though you didn't ask)
    Beautiful Lodge
    19.01.2010 - 26.02.2010
    7 nights
    from 380.00 € / person

Where exactly did u stay and how can i try to book it?
    I googled Alpinkristall am Fellhorn and ended up folllowing a link to here
    http://www.hotelschwand.de/

I did not stay there, i just had a quickie look online regarding a cheapy deal, I do know the place is near the Fellhorn resort which is quite big.

You can find this place and loads of others with ski package deals here,
    http://www.oberstdorf.de/urlaub/pauschalen/alpinkristall.html

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

http://www.gryon.com/
    Log on to the above site and you can see offers for four days accom in hostel and skiing in villars resort for about €260... you can fly from Dub to Geneva for abour €35 each way.. train from Geneva airport to Villars take just over an hour but not sure of the price... Villars ski resort is good for families and beginner or intermediate skiers .

Advertisement