Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed on travelling abroad with new baby

Options
  • 07-12-2009 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

hi,we are expecting our first baby in march.we would like to go visit family in spain when she is born and would like to know how long we should wait.has anybody in a similar position or with experience with bringing a young baby away somewhere hot any advice.thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Babies can travel on airplanes once they are six weeks old.

Plenty of babies in Spain so the heat shouldn't bother them, just dress them appropriately and plenty of sun cream and hats! Plenty of hydration also, water with a big of sugar in should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 twomaddogs

We travelled with DD when she was very young (think she was 12 weeks) - if you're breast feeding flying is a doddle as you can feed them during take off and landing so their ears don't pop. It was MUCH easier flying with DD when she was young and breast fed

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I travelled on an airplane to the UK with a woman next to me with a 2 day old baby. He was as good as gold. Dunno if there are rules for elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Think its an 8 day old limit on Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Regardless of when its 'safe' to travel with a newborn, you need to remember that it can take a couple of weeks before you can register your baby, and then however long it takes on top of that to apply for a passport etc...

I once cared for an Egyptian couple who didn't realise this and had come to Ireland just to have their baby. They had flights planned for a couple of days after the birth and I think they had to delay them as they hadn't factored time to get the baby a passport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

I've read somewhere:

-8 days for short haul
    -2 weeks for long haul.

But of course, ask your doctor!

Advertisement