Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Draft 2010

Options
  • 07-12-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

I know its a bit early but its a preemptive move so as not to have the college football thread jacked up with talk on the prospects that decide to declare for the draft this year.

The big news today was Notre Dame's junior reciever Golden Tate and qb Jimmy Clausen declaring for the draft. Has to have been the smartest thing for both guys because with Charlie Weis getting fired they would have had to learn a new offensive system for next season as seniors would have made it tough to improve their stock for next year compared to their stock now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

frostie500 wrote: »
    I know its a bit early but its a preemptive move so as not to have the college football thread jacked up with talk on the prospects that decide to declare for the draft this year.

The big news today was Notre Dame's sophmore reciever Golden Tate and qb Jimmy Clausen declaring for the draft. Has to have been the smartest thing for both guys because with Charlie Weis getting fired they would have had to learn a new offensive system for next season as seniors would have made it tough to improve their stock for next year compared to their stock now

Very good move by both. Tate is a Junior also ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,863 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm personally predicting that Clausen could go no.1 and will deffo be the first QB off the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah, sad to see the pair of them go, they've been explosive the last couple of years. Their stock is probably as high as it can go right now, and with the possibility of a 2011 Rookie contract cap they would be taking huge personal risks by staying for a Senior year - and it isn't worth it given the coaching situation.

Well the Rookie cap would be unlikely to affect Tate but his stock could only fall if he stays another season with a new QB and Floyd back for the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Watched some of that DT for Nebraska Suh, my ****in God he is a monster, looked the best from all the guys I've seen this year (honestly not a lot..).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

themont85 wrote: »
    Watched some of that DT for Nebraska Suh, my ****in God he is a monster, looked the best from all the guys I've seen this year (honestly not a lot..).

Yeah the guy was increadible all year. Great performence on Saturday which hopefully will have been noticed by the Heisman voters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Top 10 draft as it stands, lots of potential coinflips. No sight of Tim Tebow either eagle eye, sorry. ;)

1. Bucs - DT, Suh is nailed on here imo if they stay number 1
    2. St Louis Rams - QB, Clausen/Locker seems the top QB's.
    3. Browns - Quinn coming along pretty we'll QB doesn't seem a huge need now. So many holes not sure what they will do
    4. Detroit Lions - They need help on DT and OT, they should go BPA here. Okung or McCoy
    5. Washington Redskins - QB, while Campbell has rallied well he is too hit and miss.
    6. Chiefs - Again, so many holes.
    7. Raiders - Need a RT and a DT so Al will probably draft a safety.
    8. Bills - OT, they could do with a QB but not much point havign a QB and no LT.
    9. Titans - If one of the elite DT is still available I wouldn't be surprised to see them try and fill the Hayneworth hole.
    10. Seahawks - If one of the top QB's drop this far they might just go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

Toby Gerhart for Heisman! I hope he gets a shot as a running back in the NFL and doesnt get moved to TE or FB just because he is white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

Titans - If one of the elite DT is still available I wouldn't be surprised to see them try and fill the Hayneworth hole.

Maybe mount Cody? He'd fill a hole alright!

large_cody.jpg

Top 10 draft as it stands, lots of potential coinflips. No sight of Tim Tebow either eagle eye, sorry. ;)

2. St Louis Rams - QB, Clausen/Locker seems the top QB's.
    3. Browns - Quinn coming along pretty we'll QB doesn't seem a huge need now. So many holes not sure what they will do
    4. Detroit Lions - They need help on DT and OT, they should go BPA here. Okung or McCoy
    5. Washington Redskins - QB, while Campbell has rallied well he is too hit and miss.
    6. Chiefs - Again, so many holes.
    7. Raiders - Need a RT and a DT so Al will probably draft a safety.
    8. Bills - OT, they could do with a QB but not much point havign a QB and no LT.
    9. Titans - If one of the elite DT is still available I wouldn't be surprised to see them try and fill the Hayneworth hole.
    10. Seahawks - If one of the top QB's drop this far they might just go for it.
    I lol'd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

eagle eye wrote: »
    I lol'd

He will draft Tebow haha Just because Tebow is a big athlete.

Tbh I could see that actually being a good move. They have a littany of good running backs there and are pretty well set up to go wildcat if they wanted to.
    Could you just imagine it with McFadden, Bush and Fargas?

Personally I hope whoever they draft that they have a bad 2010, I hate to wish bad on a team but the worse they do the better for the Patriots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Could do worse.

Really hope the Seahawks draft a QB. I love Hasselbeck but he is just too much of a liability injury wise. While he has been a great servant it's time to start looking for a future QB and what better time that the 2010 draft, some top class propects there.
    Seattle have the Bronco's first round pick aswell so maybe a trade up is a possibility.

no way Al drafts a QB this year, he's far to stubborn to admit he made a mistake with JR so he'll keep him on. Not only that but Al always preferred getting in Veteran QB's and getting them to do the job. If Grad keeps doing a decent job until the end of the season then he'll definitely be kept on and will be given the chance to do a Rich Gannon on it. If not I wouldn't be surprised if we go after Jason Campbell assuming the skins do go the QB route, he's a FA this year afaik.

The good thing is the team is actually looking quite solid in most positions so I'm struggling to see how even Al can **** this draft up, but he still will. We're set at WR, RB, TE, CB(starters anyway), safeties, LT, LG, UT, punter and kickers (no fan should ever have to stratch thos off a first round potentials :pac:). We desperatly need a RT and a NT. If we keep Ellis and Seymour we're good at DE since we have some decent young players to fill in, Trevor Scott(moved to WLB against the Steelers) and Matt shaugnessy. I wouldn't be surprised if we got 3-4 next year if a big NT is available in the draft, with Tommy Kelly and Seymour as DE. If we lose either ellis or Seymour and all the good NT our gone then a DE like carlos dunlop would probably be the pick. Although a MLB wouldn't be bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

I wonder if suh will be moved to DE, he's quick an agile enough anyway

Hynzie wrote: »
    Maybe mount Cody? He'd fill a hole alright!

large_cody.jpg

Cody has a lot of work to do before I think he's decent value in the top 10. He just isn't an every down NT at this point and - while he looks like he will be tremendous against the run - his mobility (or lack thereof) makes life easier on the opposing QB.

Yes, I meant to comment on cody but my raiders rant go in the way. Some stats from a few of his games show he's only played in 43% of defensive snaps. He has tremdous potential but no way is that worth a top 10 pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maharg92

i think that is the best player coming out this year is Suh he is just unbelievable and i'm a bucs fan so i actually hope we continue losing to get the no.1 pick so we can get him because theres not really much point beating a few teams now and ending up like 3-13 when if we get him he could make a big difference on D which we really need to sort out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

You think the Bucs don't need a QB? Tbh, when rebuilding a team I'd start with the offense and take it from there. Bucs don't have a worthy QB IMO.

davyjose wrote: »
    You think the Bucs don't need a QB? Tbh, when rebuilding a team I'd start with the offense and take it from there. Bucs don't have a worthy QB IMO.

They drafted Josh freeman in the first last year, crazy to do it two years in a row. And from what I've seen he has done quite well considering the bucs are probably the lest talented team in the nfl.

• Advertisement

I thought Freeman looked ok in a couple of games, you can't tell for sure what he is like as he is getting no protection at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

davyjose wrote: »

They drafted Freeman in the 1st round last April, they're gonna give him a try at least for the next couple of years.

No NFL Franchise will go QB two years in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

True enough. I really think they aimed very low with the guy - not sure he has what it takes, but maybe someone off the O-line rather than a defensive player would suit them. I really think most of the great franchises are built around a good offense, despite the "Defense wins you titles" saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Many said Baltimore 'reached' with Flacco, turned out to be a good choice!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No NFL Franchise will go QB two years in a row.
    Never say never Lloyd, this draft class is the richest in a long, long time in QBs imo. There are guys going to go in the third round that would have been 1st round picks in many recent years.

Just look at the list, Clausen, McCoy, Tebow, Locker, Bradford, Robinson, Pike, LeFevour, Hiller, Hall, Lewis, Elliott and others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

eagle eye wrote: »
    Never say never Lloyd, this draft class is the richest in a long, long time in QBs imo. There are guys going to go in the third round that would have been 1st round picks in many recent years.

Just look at the list, Clausen, McCoy, Tebow, Locker, Bradford, Robinson, Pike, LeFevour, Hiller, Hall, Lewis, Elliott and others too.

The Rams will be going QB in round 1. First or second pick too probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Now that the first 20 draft spots have been decided, Ive been trying to draw up preliminary mock drafts. Just wondering, what do you guys think are the chances of Suh slipping to number 3 and the Bucs? I know its a slim chance, but with the Rams likely to pick a QB in Clausen or Bradford, theres always a chance the Lions could pick Okung. Do they really wanna see Stafford get mauled for another season? It wouldnt be a bad idea to finish off that offensive project they've been working on with Stafford, Johnson, Pettigrew and perhaps Okung, and picking a DT in a later round (the draft is loaded with quality DTs) while shoring up the D on free agency. Obviously its more than likely that they'll pick Suh given their awful depth chart at DT, but you'd never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

Archimedes wrote: »
    Now that the first 20 draft spots have been decided, Ive been trying to draw up preliminary mock drafts. Just wondering, what do you guys think are the chances of Suh slipping to number 3 and the Bucs? I know its a slim chance, but with the Rams likely to pick a QB in Clausen or Bradford, theres always a chance the Lions could pick Okung. Do they really wanna see Stafford get mauled for another season? It wouldnt be a bad idea to finish off that offensive project they've been working on with Stafford, Johnson, Pettigrew and perhaps Okung, and picking a DT in a later round (the draft is loaded with quality DTs) while shoring up the D on free agency. Obviously its more than likely that they'll pick Suh given their awful depth chart at DT, but you'd never know!

Ya thats an interesting scenario. The Bucs would be thrilled, they would get Warren Sapp back!:D

The only thing is im not sure the Rams will pass up Suh. Steve Spagnuolo is a defensive guy so that has too be factored in. Your right they do need a QB, maybe Suh first round and Colt McCoy in the second?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Hynzie wrote: »
    Ya thats an interesting scenario. The Bucs would be thrilled, they would get Warren Sapp back!:D

The only thing is im not sure the Rams will pass up Suh. Steve Spagnuolo is a defensive guy so that has too be factored in. Your right they do need a QB, maybe Suh first round and Colt McCoy in the second?

The way I see it, everything points to the Rams picking a QB with their first pick. We get this every year - Dorsey vs Ryan in 2008, and to a lesser extent Smith vs Stafford in 2009, but the QB always comes up trumps because a team in need of a new QB cannot pass up a franchise QB. Bradford or Clausen offer this. The Rams tried to get Sanchez last year, which ultimately never worked out, so I cant see them having changed their mind over the course of a season in which Bulger has been ineffective.

Advertisement