Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Place

Options
  • 07-12-2009 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with the fire place in my house, it seams to be burning the cement at the back of the fire and also the cement under the grate is starting to lift. The house is only three years old and surely this shouldn't be happening. I only bought it in August. What should i do with? Any advise much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

When you say cement, do you mean concrete or mortar ?
    The constituants of concrete do not burn, their surface blacken or char but they do not burn. Can you describe what is happening in a little more detail ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

The concrete is starting to crumble away just above the grate, I'd say its where the heat is most intensive. On the floor or where the ashes would fall the concrete has all lifted. I'm beginning to think its only cement they used.

You could be right about having a skim of sand/cement over a concrete base beneath the grate. If this is the case then it will peel or lift. How deep is this layer?

The area above the grate to the back should be a 'special' one piece fire back surround and should be very strong and capable of withstanding immense heats before crumbling away. It should have a lifespan in excess of 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Under the grate is about half a inch, should i show the builder who done the house or will he just tell me where to go with myself. Thanks for the replys

It couldn't hurt to ask him to take a look. But for your peace of mind I would ask a good local AT to have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

greenpeter wrote: »
    The concrete is starting to crumble away just above the grate, I'd say its where the heat is most intensive.

This happens to my fireplace from time to time. I have a one piece fire back surround but it still crumbles. If it is any help to you, I use fire cement which I buy in a tub. You can get these in any DIY shop. It's ready made and goes on like putty. I find it really good and I just top it up when needed.
    I found the problem started for me when I started using the smokeless coal. It's obviously more intense heat. But the fire cement does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Your problem seems to be that your fire back is crumbling from the heat. And the base that was but in under the grate is also breaking away.
    Firstly, this is not a major issue and certainly nothing which cannot be sorted relatively easily.
    A fire back should really last for years but Ive seen many of them go after one year for the followiing reason. The fire backs are being installed with just a quilt of fiberglass packed behind them. This allows little heat soak and so all the heat is being contained within the fireback which is only about 50mm thick. Any of the one Ive seen go too soon have been installed like this. There is however a very good material for packing behind them. I cannot think of the name but it is a loose fill specifically for this purpose and it soaks some of the heat away from the actual fireback and they then last years.
    I wouldnt really worry about alittle of the base breaking off.
    To fix the back, you could patch it with fire cement to make it last longer or the other option is to replace fireback. They are only about 40 euro. It will involve removing fireplace but the whole thing shouldnt take anymore than a few hours.

Advertisement