Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to get to Solden?

Options
  • 07-12-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and gals,

I'm looking at booking a DIY trip to Solden and as there are no direct flights to Innsbruck it looks like a Ryanair special to Munich (memminger) is the best option but it's still a bit of a transfer.

Any other options that anyone knows of?
    Also any advice on Solden would be good, planning on heading there for 20 Feb.

Thanks,
    Willy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

I'm flying to Innsbruck with crystal and out of interest I went to see who I was flying with and found the Innsbruck airport website great and after a search for you there I discovered you can fly on your date to Innsbruck from Dublin for between €290 to €400 return inc taxes and charges!!!

the link to the flight search page is

http://www.innsbruck-airport.com/index.html/_a/346693/_sa/1060732/_lang/en/_static/flugsuche

you could also try ring crystal and see if you can book with them as they sometimes allow bookings on charters...i know budget travel used to to their ski destinations which were crystal ski holidays!!!

hope this helps!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

€290 to €400 return inc taxes and charges, I'd expect to pay that for a holiday not a flight, no wonder tour operators are going bust.

Solden is not very convenient to airports from Dublin but you might consider going via the UK as Easyjet fly to Innsbruck.

I was there the weekend before last by flying to Memmingen, I hired a car 2.5 hrs drive, also looked at train but it was gong to be a long journey 5-6hrs including stops and bus up the Otztal valley. If you hire a car it's an easy drive but train could be a right chore. You can check Munich to Solden train times on www.bahn.de

Solden is pretty cool, a major apres ski spot, maybe the best in Austria. When we were there only about 60km of 150km open but looks like there's decent terrain and good lifts. It's high, goes to 3300m amd had two glaciers although accordnig to the locals not reknowned for massive dumps of snow, so not normally a powder paradise. Lots of accommodation and really cool spa down the road called Aquadome.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Thanks guys,

as a boarder I'm slightly concerned about the lack of powder. Is glacier skiing/boarding any different to "normal" piste conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

No it's no different on piste but as glaciers are high more powder potential, off-piste is a different story with crevasses always a danger, unless u know the terrain very well do not venture off-piste without a guide, watch the movie 'touching the void' if u want to find out more about crevasses and their danger!

Advertisement