Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bhp

Options
  • 07-12-2009 6:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

im just wondering take the following two diesel engines
    1.6hdi 110bhp
    2.0tdi 110bhp. would there be much difference between these two engines in power. would you still notice the extra power in the 2.0 vs 1.6. where is the other .4 of alitre being wasted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Torque.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

thered be more torque in the 2.0 is it. what exactly is torque

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...but they both have the same power (bhp) but maybe at different rev ranges!
    However, is there a torque difference?
    I would bet that the 2L doesn't need to work as hard to extract the power also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Torque but also refinement.

a 1.6 with 110bhp is gonna be more "highly strung" than a 2.0 with the same power

I'd say youd feel a lot more turbo lag with the 1.6 and have a more on/off power delivery than the 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

If you mean the VAG 2.0 CR TDi 110, i think you would find the TDi to be feel quicker. the old vag 1.9 PD TDi 105 was known to feel faster than the 110 HDi so i imagine the extra 5 bhp will cancel out any change the CR injection would make to the feel of it:)

On the extra torque arguement, and on the VAG note again i guess, recently in the octavia the 1.6 CR TDi 105 has replaced the 1.9 PD TDI 105. Now despite the deficet in engine size, for the Octavia, anyway the figure for torque has remained unchanged at 184 ft/lb. Now a few posters have said here that the new 1.6 simply doesnt feel as quick so i ask, is it just down to the new CR injection system or are VAG blatantly lying?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

those bhp figures are peak figures (max at a certain point)

The torque curve (i.e having high figures throughout the rev range rather than at one particular point) and torque figures will tell their own tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Zonda999 wrote: »
    If you mean the VAG 2.0 CR TDi 110, i think you would find the TDi to be feel quicker. the old vag 1.9 PD TDi 105 was known to feel faster than the 110 HDi so i imagine the extra 5 bhp will cancel out any change the CR injection would make to the feel of it:)

On the extra torque arguement, and on the VAG note again i guess, recently in the octavia the 1.6 CR TDi 105 has replaced the 1.9 PD TDI 105. Now despite the deficet in engine size, for the Octavia, anyway the figure for torque has remained unchanged at 184 ft/lb. Now a few posters have said here that the new 1.6 simply doesnt feel as quick so i ask, is it just down to the new CR injection system or are VAG blatantly lying?:rolleyes:

Without having driven any car with the VAG 1.6TDi, I'd speculate that it has a much more linear power delivery so you never get that big burst of power of the old TDi where all of a sudden you feel the seat pushing into your back but it's over very quickly.

Advertisement