Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowling ball on a flight

Options
  • 07-12-2009 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Does anyone know if you can bring a bowling ball in your checked luggage on a flight?

I'm going to New York and I want to buy a bowling ball and bring it back with me on an Aer Lingus flight.

Any help is appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gs300

I am not sure about carry on, but i do know that a few airlines give a sports equipment allowance you should check it out with the airline,.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Spectreon666

I went on the Aer Lingus website but there isn't a phone number that will help me with my enquiry. I'll prob just ask on the day of my flight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

You can carry a ball in your normal suitcase in the cargo, don't think they let you carry it in the cabin with hand luggage.

As gs300 said, they may allow you to carry the extra weight as sports equipment so it doesn't impact on your allowed baggage weight. Ask your airline.

Any idea what ball you are buying? Where are you going to get it?

Theres not alot of places in New York to get a bowling ball. Theres a sports shop called modells which sell bowling balls. I'm just thinking of getting a polyester ball 13lbs - 14lbs http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2826580&s=D-StorePrice-MOD&f=SizeGeneral%2FSQ000000008QS14+LB&cp=3201689.3202312.2795145.2795147 and getting it drilled to fit here somewhere.

I don't hook, I bowl straight and my ball curls slightly but I want to learn to hook. So eventually I'll get a reactive ball.

I was going to put the ball in my checked baggage anyway, I presumed it would be no problem but I just wanted to make sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gs300

Num +353-1-8862222 Aer lingus
    http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/baggageinformation.html#Sports_Equipment

link is the allowance for aer lingus flights

• Advertisement

Spectreeon, I'm going to post on the Hammer Talk forums and ask if anyone has any advice on more shops in NYC. Best to get as much advice as you can :)

The people over there really know their stuff!

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Spectreeon, I'm going to post on the Hammer Talk forums and ask if anyone has any advice on more shops in NYC. Best to get as much advice as you can :)

The people over there really know their stuff!

Thanks r3nu4l, it was actually quite helpful...cheers.

Thanks r3nu4l, it was actually quite helpful...cheers.

I received a PM from someone on the Hammer forums, I'll copy and send it to you here on boards.ie.

Might be worth following it up if you register on the HammerTalk forums and talk to this person directly yourself. :) Those people really, really know their bowling and quite a few pros use the site as well.

Advertisement