Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recondition Alternator

Options
  • 07-12-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Any idea what it would cost to recondition an alternator in a 05 Ford Focus?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Guys,

Any idea what it would cost to recondition an alternator in a 05 Ford Focus?

I think around the 100-150 mark. I'd be more inclined to get a new one, I'm not a big believer in recon parts to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I think around the 100-150 mark. I'd be more inclined to get a new one, I'm not a big believer in recon parts to be honest...

I know what youre saying. But theres a thread here of the problems with my wifes car since she bought it. She got the guy to have the car picked up and he said the alternator is the problem. He's sent it to be reconditioned and is putting it into the car himself as he's a mechanic. We just have to pay for the reconditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Darragh29 wrote: »

I've had my alternator refurbished and tis perfect. €60 from an auto electrician in Tullamore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I've had my alternator refurbished and tis perfect. €60 from an auto electrician in Tullamore.

I hear ya, when they work they work but unfortunately the instances of them not working post-recon are much higher than if a new unit had been fitted. Often rotor shaft bearings are not replaced and other sub components are not replaced if they are not deemed to be worn, even though these sub components could have many years of a working life behind them and they will ultimately fail in due course.

I had some issues over the years with reconditioned parts in my own garage that led me to believe that while often they allow a saving to be made, say in the case of a rare clutch, starter motor or alternator, could sometimes cost stupid money, 500-800 Euro, etc, and you'd run over other other options with the customer, but for run of the mill stuff, I'd be insisting on OEM parts where possible or good established brand for new stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Well thats 165 to get the bloody thing done. 1 month ago it was 440 for a new GEM module for the car. Not the best of luck with this bloody car. May just get rid of it and look for something else around that price bracket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement