Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From MSDN to my laptop

Options
  • 07-12-2009 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi folks.

I have a SONY vaio that had vista home premium pre-installed when I bought it. A guy in work has given me his MSDN account to get keys for software we need. I notice I can get keys for Windows 7 in MSDN too.

Would it be possible to download Windows 7 from MSDN and install it on my personal laptop (not my work PC) ? Would the key be tied to the other guys name in any way? If it would work, can anyone recommend what Windows 7 to install over vista home premium, considering I would be getting it for free?

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The licence will be linked to his MSDN account and frankly unless he has explicitly gifted you his Win7 licence (or one of them if he has multiple licences) I wouldn't do it. Hell, I wouldn't go using any of the licence keys from his MSDN account unless the licence terms explicitly state that he's allowed to distribute them to you. If you need software for work, your workplace should be paying for licences and providing them to you on work machines.

Regarding your home machine - you'll want to have more information than the brand name if you're trying to work out what version of Windows 7 to put on your laptop. If you want advice on it, I'd also suggest not telling the people whose advice you want that you're planning on nicking a licence from someone else. Not many people feel inclined to answer the question "How can I nick this?".

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Just to clarify - I have no intention to "nick" anyones license. As I said, the guy gave me his MSDN account to get work software. I was just wondering if it was technically possible to use one of the MSDN Win 7 licenses on a home laptop pre-installed with Vista? If it is, I will go back to the guy and ask him can I use one of his Win 7 licenses.

Off the top of my head, the laptop is 1.8Ghz Dual Core, 2Gb RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ripcord wrote: »
    Just to clarify - I have no intention to "nick" anyones license. As I said, the guy gave me his MSDN account to get work software. I was just wondering if it was technically possible to use one of the MSDN Win 7 licenses on a home laptop pre-installed with Vista? If it is, I will go back to the guy and ask him can I use one of his Win 7 licenses.

Off the top of my head, the laptop is 1.8Ghz Dual Core, 2Gb RAM.

Technically possible, yes. Legally possible, no. It breaks the terms of the MSDN licence agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

testicle wrote: »
    Technically possible, yes. Legally possible, no. It breaks the terms of the MSDN licence agreement.

Thanks for the help testicle. I had a feeling the MSDN terms+conditions might be an issue. I wouldn't mess around with it if it's illegal. Oh well... so much for that idea!

Advertisement