Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

looking to trade in two cars....two questions

Options
  • 07-12-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All
    I want to change wheels. We have two cars of which we only need one and have decided to swap both for a good diesel (saloon not estate!) with some boot room. The cars to trade are 01 Huyundai Accent 130,000 miles, 96 BMW 318 130,000 miles. As there is big milage on each I dont really want to sell em privately (time and hassle)

Do you know anywhere would take both and also what diesels would you recommend?

thanks again boards!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Most places will take them but will likely get a bad price, Id say you could be looking at €4,000 for both or less. Depends alot how much your spending on the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

You would be lucky to get €2k for the Hyundai Accent and €2k for the BMW, so realistically you are looking for something under €4k (unless you have more funds available), so basically you are looking at any of the following

http://www.carzone.ie/search/results?searchsource=finder&nParam=285%2B321%2B102554%2B102456&channel=CARS&cacheBuster=126019167130071

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I think more close to 2000 euro off the full retail price off the car you will be looking at. In other words, the garage will have your cars for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Like the previous post said both cars are worthless to a garage. Negotiate the best straight deal price you can and then just sell your cars privately. The trade in figure you'd be allowed is only the discount you'd get anyway if you said you we not trading anything in. Really ( and I dont want to sound insulting , its just the truth ) both cars are infact worthless .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, both cars are too old and have too much mileage for a garage to resell them on at a profit. They will simply just pass them onto the trade for minimal money to be rid of them. They will probably offer you a small amount off the price of the new car just to push the deal through but the reality is that you will be down money had you went in and bought the new car outright availing of a straight deal (no trade-in) discount.

Buy the new car for cash and sell the two cars privately for whatever you get for them. Even if you gave them away for half nothing you will be better than trying to part exchange them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Viejo Zorro

Agreed! 01 Accent's can be bough for less than a grand at auction and I wouldn't have much hope for the beemer.
    Try targeting the local student market with the Accent (loadsa my mates drove these when we were at college) and see if there are any Eastern Europeans who would like to take the beemer off your hands.

Advertisement