Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Facepalm

Options
  • 07-12-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

Look at this.

I mean seriously. I wonder is there anyone in that group that would actually hate to go to TCD...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

Well when the creator of the group looks like this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=98247&stc=1&d=1260192881

what do you expect?

Note: that pic is on the creator's public profile page. I just followed the link from the offending offensive Facebook group page.

Edit: Wow I just noticed the arm in that photograph. The one pointing to the brunette in the middle's hair. Is that someone out of shot, or does the girl on the right have a really long upper right arm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Is it not just for fun? Apart from some healthy sporting and academic rivalry... that UCD v TCD think is just a joke I thought. Much like the way Cork people go on about it being the real capital.

I did laugh at one of the comments on the page... Belfield Polytechnic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Thats some Malcolm X style inciting of hatred right there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

*places UCD's mouth on the curb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

UCD, this is an image which I associate with the place...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

El Siglo wrote: »

I would have gone for:

n523720940_1783107_5127.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

One cigarette? Maybe I misjudged the place :pac:

Well the article was published before the recession hit, I assume prices have been adjusted appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Why I remember back in UCD a cigarette would buy you a steak and kidney pie, a cup of coffee, a slice of cheesecake and a newsreel. With enough change left over to ride the trolley from Battery Park to the polo grounds.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

trinners are winners

sorry i just got sick a little in my mouth there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

El Siglo wrote: »

Well you never will be that cool.......

Seriously, if she was a true UCD student, she wouldnt have the stamina/attention span to start a facebook group!

Farmville is all UCD computers are used for..........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Below where their profile picture should be, is the comment:
    UCD,DIT,DCU,UCC,UL,WIT,NUIG classs TCD not some much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Fad wrote: »
    Farmville is all UCD computers are used for..........:(
    Seriously, whats with that?

The only thing more childish than the rivalry between UCD and Trinity students is the rivalry between UCD and Trinity academics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The only thing more childish than the rivalry between UCD and Trinity students is the rivalry between UCD and Trinity academics.

Maybe you and I can bridge the gap and end the hate?

I dont really understand it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Further proof that it was "a mistake to establish a separate university for the aborigines of this island - for the corner boys who spit into the Liffey." All hail the venerable Mahaffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I think I'll join for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Ron DMC wrote: »
    I think I'll join for the laugh.

I did, for teh lulz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Me too. Cracks me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

One of her facebook friends has a photograph of him with the provost as his profile pic. :pac:

• Advertisement

This institutionalized racism has to stop!
    Somebody think of the children..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I remember a few years ago they asked for students to choose a design for their affinity credit card - plenty of non-UCD,D students were trying to get the water tower selected as the defining icon of UCD,D. :D

Wasn't there a kerfuffle when UCD,D called (and continues to call) themselves the "premier" university in Ireland. One of the TCD professors basically called b/s on that.
    OED would tend to agree:

"A. adj.

1. a. First in importance, rank, or position; chief, leading, foremost."

Just google UCD on google.ie to see their blatant false advertising :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago they asked for students to choose a design for their affinity credit card - plenty of non-UCD,D students were trying to get the water tower selected as the defining icon of UCD,D. :D

Wasn't there a kerfuffle when UCD,D called (and continues to call) themselves the "premier" university in Ireland. One of the TCD professors basically called b/s on that.
    OED would tend to agree:

"A. adj.

1. a. First in importance, rank, or position; chief, leading, foremost."

Just google UCD on google.ie to see their blatant false advertising :P

You're as bad as yer one. Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Is there any more pointless rivalry than UCD Trinity? Has anyone ever given a fcuk? :pac:

Perhaps the US/Asian/African students who can pay 30k+ a year in fees to study in Ireland may care that they are attending the second best university in Ireland instead of the best?

Perhaps the US/Asian/African students who can pay 30k+ a year in fees to study in Ireland may care that they are attending the second best university in Ireland instead of the best?

Depends what you want to do. I do think certain things are done better in UCD, some are done better in TCD.

Depends what you want to do. I do think certain things are done better in UCD, some are done better in TCD.

That's true - and one would hope that people who may be forking over life savings would do enough research to know the best option for them (for example I hear the UCDD business school is very well regarded).

But this, coupled with some facts twiddling in order to push them up table rankings (I don't know if Trinity does this or not) doesn't support the idea that they (the people in charge at the top) are overly concerned about being honest in their dealings.

edit: as for fact twiddling - I'd be surprised if every institution doesn't try and present themselves in the best light possible - so TCD may very well do what UCDD do, just that I've heard of any teaching professional make that observation before.

But this, coupled with some facts twiddling in order to push them up table rankings (I don't know if Trinity does this or not) doesn't support the idea that they (the people in charge at the top) are overly concerned about being honest in their dealings.

How exactly does UCD twiddle facts to push them up to the top of tables? Calling yourself the premier university wouldnt really effect rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Most retarded facebook page I have ever seen. I don't attend TCD or UCD by the way, so I am unbiased!

I am annoyed at the fact UCC among other college were listed underneath the main picture thingy..

People who are hating on TCD obviously have some inferiority complex going on. its the same down here. CIT hating on UCC and vice versa. who cares? they are completely differents places.

• Advertisement

How exactly does UCD twiddle facts to push them up to the top of tables? Calling yourself the premier university wouldnt really effect rankings.

Calling phd students staff does affect staff/student ratios - a component of determining the scores a Uni gets in the league tables.

Advertisement