Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AA Fuel assist

Options
  • 07-12-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Has anyone used this service, how long did it take and how much were you charged?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,924 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I don't think this service is available in Ireland. In the UK the price depends if you're an AA member and how long you've been a member. Cheapest option is £184 according to this

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

I saw it on Ireland AM this morning maybe they are just starting to roll it out now. Thanks.

Ah, ok it must be new. I'm an AA member here and there wasn't anything in their magazine and I can't see anything on their website either. Sounds like a clever plan anyway. It will make them a nice bit of money, no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ConorAAIreland

Hi from AA -

Yes we have launched Fuel Assist in Ireland. I had a look at the vehicle and equipment in detail myself this morning as we demoed it on Ireland AM on TV3...

I can't seem to post a link to it here on boards.ie, but you can see the piece on TV3's website at www.tv3.ie/irelandam and look at 'latest highlights'.

The AA now offers the service at a cost of €260 or €234 for anyone who is already an AA Member. Contact AA Fuel Assist at 1890 456226.

Regards,

Conor Faughnan
    AA Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Hi from AA -

Yes we have launched Fuel Assist in Ireland. I had a look at the vehicle and equipment in detail myself this morning as we demoed it on Ireland AM on TV3...

I can't seem to post a link to it here on boards.ie, but you can see the piece on TV3's website at www.tv3.ie/irelandam and look at 'latest highlights'.

The AA now offers the service at a cost of €260 or €234 for anyone who is already an AA Member. Contact AA Fuel Assist at 1890 456226.

Regards,

Conor Faughnan
    AA Ireland
    I tried, i really really did but this am10underwear_4x3_1_17052_thumbnail.jpg caught my eye instead :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What does this system involve? Internet too slow to play the tv3 clip!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

mickdw wrote: »
    What does this system involve? Internet too slow to play the tv3 clip!

didn't watch it all but they can pump out the wrong fuel, cleanse your engine and have you back on the road within in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sounds dodgy to me. If the car has been run with the wrong fuel, filters etc would need to be changed and I cannot see them having filters to suit on board

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The AA now offers the service at a cost of €260 or €234 for anyone who is already an AA Member.
    Why is it so much more expensive here than in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Anan1 wrote: »

They always have been. I had a similar argument with the AA recently about their 5* Breakdown Cover for Continental driving.

Uk = £66
    Ireland = €119

The only difference is the car is repatriated to Ireland instead of the UK.

I think for some people the fuel assist will be helpful but they are normally stupid people who could possibly make that mistake. And there is no point saying "well a mistake is a mistake". That's a big damn mistake to make.

Big difference between Diesel and petrol besides the colour of the pump handle.

Petrol has a stronger smell that Diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i think its a bit of a gimmic. is that an annual fee. i wont be bothering with it. recession times and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

think i took it up wrong. just watched video. so its not an annual service its just if you do it once off you can ring them and they will charge you the €300 or whatever it is and thats that

Anan1 wrote: »

If you take our much lower population density into account, it seems better value for money here than it is in the UK. For a change :)

I can't seem to post a link to it here on boards.ie

Here's the link ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

I thought the piece on Ireland AM was very misleading. They were basically saying if you brought it to a dealership your car could be off the road for a few days and it could cost you around 2k but they could fix it on the side of the road for 234E in an hour.
    That presupposes the car doesnt need new injectors,pumps,filters etc if it does than you can guarentee the AA wont fix it for 234E.

Last year i put petrol in a diesel engine :o and got the system washed out in a main dealers for 144E, that was 90E less than what the AA are charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The way I see it is that this is a service that is available to people in an emercency no matter where they are. The AA are there to take a lot of the stress out of the situation, especially if you are far from home.
    If you are not car minded & you need help it offers an avenue to you to get the fuelling issue resolved with a known cost & single point of contact.
    These two combined might mean it also prevents you doing further damage than you might have done if the service was not available.

I was a member of the AA for years, they always had some good products & services on offer*. They have helped me out on many occasions when I had my old Mini & Beetle. I am no longer a member as my insurance has a similar service included but I certainly appreciated that I had a number in my wallet that I could call in the event of an emergency.

There is a gap in the market for this & I say fair play to the AA for filling that gap.
    page1 wrote: »
    Last year i put petrol in a diesel engine :o and got the system washed out in a main dealers for 144E, that was 90E less than what the AA are charging.
    Were you in familiar surroundings? That €90 would be worth it to someone who finds these types of situations stressful.

*(got my first mobile phone with them in 1994 when they were one of the first to team up with Eircell)

Advertisement