Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky lanterns harmful to the environment ?

Options
  • 07-12-2009 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Looking at websites selling these things and they all say they are environmentally friendly. They are made from rice paper, Bio-degradable material but there needs to be a wire to hold the t-light in place.

This wire is what causes me concern as this could be harmful to wildlife and farm animals and machinery.

what do people think ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭auerillo

mrbabsy wrote: »
    Looking at websites selling these things and they all say they are environmentally friendly. They are made from rice paper, Bio-degradable material but there needs to be a wire to hold the t-light in place.

This wire is what causes me concern as this could be harmful to wildlife and farm animals and machinery.

what do people think ?

I think that you should not, then, use them around wildlife, farm animals or machinery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Only a matter of time before someone starts a gorse fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

enviromentally friendly.....
    what sort of fuel do they burn as they are flying around????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Paraffin wax is the usual fuel.
    TBH there is probably more material in an average softdrink can than in one of these.
    Wire, corrodes away, Tealight holder very light aluminium so similar.
    Its not an issue IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

.... or landing in a field of ruminating cattle. A Stray Fart could have devastating consequences.........

• Advertisement
Advertisement