Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thoughts welcome

Options
  • 07-12-2009 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

It seems my car is now a write off after having a disagreement with a rock last week. Am waiting on the assessor to make an offer and in the meantime have been doing a bit of shopping. My budget is 7k max and I am looking for a reliable diesel saloon preferably one that is a bit more refined in the engine dept than the old 2.2tid saab. I am probably heading up north to get one and have a choice in mind.

1) 2006 Skoda Superb 2.0TDI 140bhp - elegence model with 132,000 miles, full service history - £4500

2) 2005 Volvo S40 2.0D se - 85,000 miles £4,700 - full service history also.

Both are private sales. To be honest I am leaning more towards the Superb due to comfort, but need to take the mileage into account. I don't want to have to spend more money on it in the near future the VRT on both is coming in around the €1900 mark.

Any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd go a couple of years older and a lower mileage if it was me. Out of those two I'd pick the Volvo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Tough choice. Both great cars, although the 2L TDI is not the most reliable. What about a Rover 75? Comfortable, good cruiser, BMW diesel, low VRT, you'd get a great one for £4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Buying a high mileage car today is fine but what mileage will be on it when you're done with it? IME, diesels have very hard and neglected lives and sub 10k diesels are a minefield although, meticulous history will help.

It's very hard to get genuine good value when buying diesels. A crucial question is that of how long you want to keep it. I agree with EPM- the model I'd run is older, lower mileage, higher spec/ comfort and keep it for a long long time. That's the best way of getting bang for your buck when buying diesels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Had a bad rover experience in the past and it put me right off them to be honest. I was doing a bit of research and it seems that the oil in the superb needs to be changed every 10k or it spells trouble. Are there big questions over the reliability - should I look to move towards a 1.9?

@EPM, I would like to move up the years if possible and was figuring that the mileage shouldn't be too much of an issue if the car has been cared for. I am coming from an '03 and would be looking 0'05 onwards if possible.

A few 3 series had popped up '05 320d's but were all 130,000 mile mark and I kind of discounted them due to turbo issues. I had it in my head that the superb engine was less troublsome - perhaps I am mistaken?

Thanks for the advice so far lads (and ladies??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Long Onion wrote: »
    It seems my car is now a write off after having a disagreement with a rock last week. Am waiting on the assessor to make an offer and in the meantime have been doing a bit of shopping...

Just to point out - an economic write-off just means its not worth fixing with all new original parts and all work done by a main dealership at premium rates. Odds are it can be fixed perfectly at a fraction of the 'estimate' cost.

You are perfectly entitled to do this with your insurance claim money and keep the change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Gurgle wrote: »
    Just to point out - an economic write-off just means its not worth fixing with all new original parts and all work done by a main dealership at premium rates. Odds are it can be fixed perfectly at a fraction of the 'estimate' cost.

You are perfectly entitled to do this with your insurance claim money and keep the change.

That is an option that I am considering - it is likely that I will need a refurbished engine or a complete re-build, I am waiting to get a few estimates and see where i go from there. If the cost of getting it back on the road is lowish, that may be the best route. If it is creeping up though, I would be tempted to go for a newer car.

I will be doing around 15,000 miles per annum and will only be considering cars that have a full service history and have obviously been cared for.

Advertisement