Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless broadband for online gameing in galway

Options
  • 07-12-2009 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hey i live in east galway and dont have many choices for broadband i currently have a 2mb connection from airwire which the speeds and ping do be all over the place and when i play games online it lags and thats for games like call of duty but sports games like fifa& pes are unplayable altogether i have suffered with this for months and tried everything to make it work better:confused:. Dose anybody know of any other isp that i could get so i would be able to play online or any suggestions about this at all would help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

VainSitchy wrote: »
    hey i live in east galway and dont have many choices for broadband i currently have a 2mb connection from airwire which the speeds and ping do be all over the place and when i play games online it lags and thats for games like call of duty but sports games like fifa& pes are unplayable altogether i have suffered with this for months and tried everything to make it work better:confused:. Dose anybody know of any other isp that i could get so i would be able to play online or any suggestions about this at all would help.
    can you get dsl broadband like eircom or smart because mobile broadband crap for online gaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 VainSitchy

no i cant get dsl i have contacted eircom to see if there was a chance that they might be upgrading the phone lines but more chance of winning the lotto. Airwire is wireless broadband not mobile or satellite. i have done some research and wireless is good enough to play online but for whatever reason airwire is not doing it for me. Like someone with 20mb speed could be worse off then someone with 2mb speed if there latance/ping is rubbish or so i have read anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

VainSitchy wrote: »
    no i cant get dsl i have contacted eircom to see if there was a chance that they might be upgrading the phone lines but more chance of winning the lotto. Airwire is wireless broadband not mobile or satellite. i have done some research and wireless is good enough to play online but for whatever reason airwire is not doing it for me. Like someone with 20mb speed could be worse off then someone with 2mb speed if there latance/ping is rubbish or so i have read anyway.
    yea ping and lantance are inportant even thought it airwire might as well be mobile not much u can do just crap ireland
    broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Ok run a few tests here http://www.pingtest.net/ and here http://www.speedtest.net/ and post your results here. Try to perform the tests at around about the time you normally like to play games.

Is the connection shared between other devices? Is the connection being utilised by anyone or anything else on the network? i.e. bittorrent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Airwire: Martin

Airwire's broadband packages are fixed wireless and work in general with any kind of games.

Our aim is always to deliver below 200ms, most customers have around 40-60ms at max, quite a few I know of are at around 10ms. I live in Roscommon myself and have between 10-20ms to most places.

VainSitchy is however as of monday suffering from contention due to a fault in our network, which he is aware of and that he also knows the timeline for a fix of.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 VainSitchy

no point in doin a test now because as martin said there is a fault in the network for at least the last ten days but even at its best online gameing is poor and i have never seen my ping below 70 or 80. Apart from the online gaming aspect i dont have a proplem with airwire but for me the online gameing is mostly what i want the broadband for and have talked to a few other people who have airwire and try to play online and their the same as me. The worst thing is airwire dont seem to know anything about the gameing side of things and dont offer any advice on the matter which is not much good to us. once again im sure that alot of people are happy with airwire and im trying to give them a bad name i just want to be able to play online with a good connection.

Advertisement