Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy this dolls house?

Options
  • 06-12-2009 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My daughter aged 7 has chosen a few small things from Santa that add up to around €120 but there is nothing on the list that has the real wow factor, they are all things that she could pick up as birthday presents normally like high school musical dolls and games for ds etc.

But tonight i saw this dolls house and fell in love with it... Its the Barbie 3 storey townhouse priced at £159.99 in smyths. sorry i have no idea how to do a link. i think its quite expensive but i know she would just love it and get hours and hours of play from it.i think shes at a good age aswell as she will get a few years out of it yet.her daddy and I are apart but we are sharing the santa presents.we are both unemployed and i know he would go off the head at the mere mention of it but id be prepared to pay for the most of it myself!

i had a barbie dollshouse myself when i was small and loved it.Should I just be happy that my child is not asking for more things from santa.Do u think it is just too expensive....would you buy it for your child?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hiya,

I haven't seen the doll's house you're talking about but there's some lovely ones here

http://www.littledreamers.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_227&zenid=794273286eb0b4582899a3f6583bd4f4

Does the Barbie house come with dolls, furniture etc? If it does that price is pretty good if you love it, but most of the houses I've seen are between 80 and 120 so it sounds a bit pricey without seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

Are you crazy???!!!
    My daughter asked for a ds with games and a doll house.So i got her the ds,and picked up a lovely wooden 2 storey dolls house in a local shop here in galway.It cost 30 euro,and i know she will love it!Its not huge,but by no meens small,and it comes furnished!!!Shes also 7.Had i not found this bargin,i would have stopped at the ds,and got her lots of cheep and cheerfull things to bulk up!
    Its my experience that you start as you meen to go on,if you splash out at 7yrs old,when they have not asked for it,you will regret it in years to come!!Shop around,remember nobody is goin mad this year,iv got 3 kids,and have managed to buy for my youngest and oldest spending no more then 150 on each,my middle child has asked for ds,so i spent a slight bit more on her,but respectivly it was my oldest last year.
    I know what its like to spot something you know they will love,but thats where i would sit and think would she like whats shes asked for OR the doll house.maybe thats just me.
    Maybe consider picking it up for an upcoming birthday/communion if you think she would love it??

I think that's a shocking amount to spend on a child tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Playmobil have a faaaaaab dolls house that I got when I was younger... They still have the same in smyths and places today. Very reasonable and you can buy extensions for it to add another floor in case she wants to expand it later on. You can also buy different room furniture separately so you can choose kitchen bedroom bathroom outside furniture etc...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3641/3444668718_471186217f.jpg
    http://www.mckendry.net/DOLLHOUSES/doll325.jpg

twas a grand aul yoke... Hours of fun... And you can change the rooms and get different people whenever you want.
    Years of fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

I presume this is the Pink Barbie Dreamhouse you mean - I've bought it for my 5 yr old for Xmas. It's actually 199 Euro in Smyths(£159 is sterling)......had to think a lot about it first as while we're fairly ok financially I still think that's a lot to spend on a child and normally wouldn't - she loves that house as she plays with it in her friends house all the time and understands it's a big big present to ask Santa for so has said she doesn't want anything else (I've got a few puzzles and colouring books too but that's it). It comes with loads of furniture etc that you often have to buy seperately with other cheaper houses.......still, if she hadn't set her heart on it I wouldn't be getting it!

At 7, your daughter is almost out of the Barbie stage I'd say.....don't know if you'll get that much value out of it to be honest.
    There is another dolls house in Smyths, I think it's called 'My Family' - we have a hand me down one passed on from a friend of mine. I was surprised to see it in Smyths recently at about 30 euro or less maybe, as it had loads of furniture and people for it so thought it would cost more. Might be a little childish looking but less money to pay out, especially since she hasn't asked for it. Also comes in a great big box so has that wow factor!

let us know what you decide!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the replies!

I talked myself out of buying it as we had already bought some things off the list and it was just going to be too much extra.she only seen the dollshouse after the list was wrote aswell and she loved it too.

she got a 'my family house'when she was 3 and sylvanian family 'willow hall' when she was 5 and has gotten great play from them. they are quite like the houses mentioned above.She has only really taken an interest in barbies this year, up until now theyve just been luyin naked around the house! so i wanted a house that was going to fit the barbies.

but i went to 'toys r us' last night in derry and picked up a high school musical school' for £50! it dosnt have alot of accessories but it is quite big and it has the wow factor! Itl be a complete surprise for her cos weve never seen it in any catalogues or anywhere! she had asked for all the high school musical dolls so itl be the perfect accompanyment! it got great reviews on amazon too so im happy now!

stargazerlily ur little girl is very lucky!!!....even i would sit and play with that barbie house for hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mumto3 i totally see your point on the money to be spent....if i had 3 children it would definitely be no more than 150 each but i only have 1 and to be fair to her she hasnt been getting many treats all year with me being out of work.

we had a brief conversation about the house when she seen it... she said i want that more than anything else!....but when i told her it was 2 much to ask for she forgot all about it!

shes not a spoilt child never asks for alot so i fairly much would always get her what she wants at christmas...i think id regret it more if i didnt cos after all she wont be a child forever. in the end i couldnt justify spending that much on 1 item but i also couldnt have been bothered with the row it would have caused with her daddy who is always so damn stingy with the santa budget!

i guess il kno all about it when she gets brothers and sisters!

Advertisement