Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The $50 Monome (kinda)

Options
  • 06-12-2009 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

No MIDI, no USB so no proper fun but I'd put money down that it could be hacked to output CV very easily through the line out. Similarly it would be very very easy to make a Max/MSP patch for ableton that would allow the audio output to trigger one-hits like a Monome - along the lines of a reverse-Volto (the VST that uses MOTU interfaces to output CV). Obviously the in-built sounds dry are complete cack.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/musical-instruments/c4e1/?cpg=115H5

but it looks like a cool little present for anyone interested in electronic music and with either an effects loop or some tasteful circuit-bending could be viable for performance. Plenty of ****e instruments have had cool stuff done with them - the omnichord for example.

Comments

I actually suggested this as a present over on gearslutz there yesterday..Thinkgeek rocks though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 thrush

or you could take out the insides and try and plop an arduino into it? then you could use it as a monome...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

thrush wrote: »
    or you could take out the insides and try and plop an arduino into it? then you could use it as a monome...

Not in the way you're thinking. You could turn it into a 7x8 box of trigger buttons, but there's no immediately apparent way of making the sequencer input or output MIDI.

jimi_t wrote: »
    Not in the way you're thinking. You could turn it into a 7x8 box of trigger buttons, but there's no immediately apparent way of making the sequencer input or output MIDI.

I'm not talking about the sequencer. all you need is access to the buttons to make a monome clone. rip everything else out. like so:

http://flipmu.com/work/arduinome/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Pingu-D

nice but why try and customise somethin when the novation launchpad is fairly cheap...is fun to use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Pingu-D wrote: »
    nice but why try and customise somethin when the novation launchpad is fairly cheap...is fun to use?

Because people are strange :D With the Arduino combined with MAX/MSP or OSC you have a silly amount of scope for other 'arty' applications whereas the UI of the Launchpad is abstracted a level up - similar to the APC - and is really only designed for a single application.

i just splurged on one of the new monome grayscale 64s that went on sale on jan 1st anyway. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Pingu-D

jimi_t wrote: »
    Because people are strange :D With the Arduino combined with MAX/MSP or OSC you have a silly amount of scope for other 'arty' applications whereas the UI of the Launchpad is abstracted a level up - similar to the APC - and is really only designed for a single application.

True but the launchpad has a blank page for lack of a better term so u can program parameters etc its pretty customizable.... i mean i had to study max/msp and most small time producer and djs would take one look and cry...i love the potential of gettin something really unique as much as the next man but sometime u get lost in the customizing and a good idea gets wasted yano

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

thrush wrote: »
    i just splurged on one of the new monome grayscale 64s that went on sale on jan 1st anyway. ;)

Nice!

Advertisement