Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health : vegetarian versus omnivore

Options
  • 06-12-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

trying to stop clogging up the thread about cooking meat, replying to kumate here.
    you said it was a well known fact, show me

milk? from industrialised cows? fortified, u mean synthetic b12 additives?

have a pointless arguement? no thanks!

Hi kumate,

getting some mixed messages here, I asked you to start a new thread if you wanted to argue further, but you just made some more points in the same one. You asked me to show you the studies, while at the same time saying no thanks to any more argument. What do you want? Currently it just sounds like you're shouting and then covering your ears...

In regards to studies, google is your friend, but as investigating things doesn't seem to interest you here's one I found quite easily : Mortality in british vegetarians there are more.

vegetarians drink milk, I am unaware of any commercially available milk being from non industrialised cows. Vegans do not drink milk. I am not familiar with the process used to add the b12 or its origins, is there some point about synthetic b12 you're trying to make?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

You can't really argue one is better or worse then the other. There are loads other factors that effect ones health other then diet. Your family history/genetics plays a huge part. Smokeing/drinking/drugs/weight/stress levels etc etc there are a million and one factors and it's utterly pointless trying to argue/discuss it and you'll just end up with a train wreck of a thread.

Industrialised dairy? In Ireland? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Industrialised dairy? In Ireland? :confused:

Not entirely sure what he meant by the term to be honest. I assumed it refers to dairy farming on a large scale, with various pieces of industrial machinery involved, which would accurately describe most of the dairy farming done in Ireland. I'm open to correction though...

cocoa wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what he meant by the term to be honest. I assumed it refers to dairy farming on a large scale, with various pieces of industrial machinery involved, which would accurately describe most of the dairy farming done in Ireland. I'm open to correction though...

Dairy cattle are grassfed here.
    To me that term would to farming practices in places like the states
    Where you have a production line set up with literally thousands of "battery" cattle on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Dairy cattle are grassfed here.
    To me that term would to farming practices in places like the states
    Where you have a production line set up with literally thousands of "battery" cattle on site.

Ah, a bit of a search and it seems your interpretation is better alright. I stand, well, sit, corrected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Either a vegetarian or an omnivorous diet with high quality organic lean meats in moderation can be healthy. There's no one diet to suit everyone. Any increase or decrease in cancer, CVD, diabetes rates etc found in the research are minimal either way and of little practical significance to normal everyday people. These studies are always going to be confounded by countless others factors as another poster mentioned.
    However having said this, it's makes sense to me (in a completely intuitive non-scientific way) that for the likes of us veggies a diet which does not involve any level of suffering by sentient beings is going to be more desirable and healthful (if only spiritually as much as I HATE that word)when done correctly in the long run.
    TBH judging by the 'heres what I had for dinner thread' most of us aren't really in much of a position to judge the eating habits of omnivores from a nutritional stand point being vegetarian doesn't necessarily transform you into the epitome of health it's still a long uphill haul to get a vegetarian diet just right too.

Advertisement