Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The effects of a black hole

Options
  • 06-12-2009 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

(Not sure whether this belongs here or in the Physics forum. If so, please move :) )

I am ignorant of physics so you will have to excuse what must seem like a stupid question. A hypothetical situation: You are on a ship of some kind and it is sucked into a black hole - what would happen to you? I mean, presumably it would not be the nicest of experiences and you would almost definately die - but how exactly? Not much point to the question I know, just something I am wondering about.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well this is pop science so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    You are on a ship of some kind and it is sucked into a black hole - what would happen to you?
    Crushed instantly to the size of the head of a pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

or, if you're lucky enough to be in a star trek movie at that point, you'll go back in time with Leonard Nimoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

The gravity of a black hole is so great that even light cannot escape. The escape speed of the black hole is greater than the speed of light.

As said above you would be crushed into an incredibly small point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Planet earth to the size of a full stop .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Planet earth to the size of a full stop .

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Gurgle wrote: »
    Crushed instantly to the size of the head of a pin.

Spaghettified first? The gravitational difference over just a couple of metres would be such that one end of you would accelerate way ahead of the other before you ended up microscopically sized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

BendiBus wrote: »
    Spaghettified first? The gravitational difference over just a couple of metres would be such that one end of you would accelerate way ahead of the other before you ended up microscopically sized.
    Yes, of course.
    You would be turned into a line for a femtosecond before you become a full stop.

Advertisement