Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

alloy paint

Options
  • 06-12-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

I picked up alloy wheel spray paint in a can there during the week.I want to get my alloys sprayed at some time but Im wondering should I go about doing it myself? Any advice on how to apply this without minimum fuss? Any advice or tips?

The alloys are ten years old so they are not brand new but need a touch up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You're going to need more than just paint. First thing you'll need to do is sand down any affected areas, 120 paper should do for that. After that, you'll need to smooth out the areas sanded with 120, with 400 paper.

You'll need to detar them with antisil or something similar, and wipe everything dry, dry further with a heat gun, and then wipe the dried residue again. Then apply acid etch primer, wait for it to dry, and sand with plenty of water, and 800 wet&dry paper.

After that's done, dry it with the heat gun, and wipe away any residue again. Apply a dust coat of your paint, dry it with the heatgun, then another dust coat, and heat gun, and again and again and again until you've got a good finish, and you can't see any of the material underneath the paint. When you're 110% satisfied that it's dry, apply a dust coat of lacquer, and leave to set for 10 minutes. Then come back and apply a liberal coat, and leave to dry for an hour. 2 more coats after that, it should be looking good, and ready to refit to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

You're going to need more than just paint. First thing you'll need to do is sand down any affected areas, 120 paper should do for that. After that, you'll need to smooth out the areas sanded with 120, with 400 paper.

You'll need to detar them with antisil or something similar, and wipe everything dry, dry further with a heat gun, and then wipe the dried residue again. Then apply acid etch primer, wait for it to dry, and sand with plenty of water, and 800 wet&dry paper.

After that's done, dry it with the heat gun, and wipe away any residue again. Apply a dust coat of your paint, dry it with the heatgun, then another dust coat, and heat gun, and again and again and again until you've got a good finish, and you can't see any of the material underneath the paint. When you're 110% satisfied that it's dry, apply a dust coat of lacquer, and leave to set for 10 minutes. Then come back and apply a liberal coat, and leave to dry for an hour. 2 more coats after that, it should be looking good, and ready to refit to the car.

I knew you were called the PaintDoctor for a reason :P

And OP, better off getting a spray gun and mini compressor, spray in a can is shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Make sure to mask off the tyres before you start spraying!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Your prob better off sending the rims off to be powder coated man!
    Finish is perfect and very strong.
    They put iron filings in your own colour choice onto rim using magnetism and then heat them, causing them to bond with the rim!!
    They melt smooth just like paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I
    And OP, better off getting a spray gun and mini compressor, spray in a can is shite.

He should do it for a living! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement