Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Compromise, and the Art of Buying a Car

Options
  • 06-12-2009 7:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me, or does everyone suffer head-wrecking when trying to figure out what sort of car they're going to buy?

I mean, in a perfect world, I could just get an M5 and be done with it. All things for all occasions, fast, comfortable, fun, what's not to like?

Of course, I do not live in a perfect world, and cannot afford something like the M5 or Jag XFR. This means I need to cut back somewhere.

My problem is, what on earth do I want to cut back on? Do I want a car that is as comfortable and nice to live with as the Jag, even if it's not as much fun to drive? Do I decide to go for the fun factor, and live with a slightly inferior interior? Or do I go 'responsible and boring', and look more for long-term-reliability and sensibleness?

I honestly don't recall this much of a dilemma last time out. My choice was pretty clear, and I have been very happy with it. What has happened to me? Have I become suddenly indecisive? Have cars all become more equal in value, that we no longer have an 'obvious' solution to our requirements? Or have companies started to excel in one area per brand, forcing the requirement to compromise upon us?

I am now faced with a choice between the funster and the cruiser. (CTS-V vs XF 5.0NA). Today, I think I'll get the V. Yesterday it was the XF. Tomorrow, it'll be V again. Maybe I should just flip a coin and live with it. (The sensible option, an E350/E550 is a distant third and unlikely).

Car buying is supposed to be a fun experience, an opportunity to treat yourself and enjoy test driving the latest and greatest. Instead, I am now wracked with 'am I making the right call?'

<sigh>

Rant over. I'll get back to my vaccilation.

NTM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

What has happened to me?

Crippled by crushing car tax rates, and maybe lack of space?

If I had neither of those problems I'd be out the door tomorrow to seek the next addition to my stable: a late 80s / early 90s sh1tbox, destined to spent the rest of its short life being driven like it was stolen.

Although if you're talking about buying a brand new car, you have no sympathy from me. In that case ye can get bent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, I assume you're not buying/living in Ireland? If so, go for luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you can afford to buy and run a CTS-V or an XF 5.0NA, you obviously do live in a perfect world and maybe you should buy the car that goes with your vision of a perfect world (hint: not those two) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Confab wrote: »
    OP, I assume you're not buying/living in Ireland? If so, go for luxury.

Manic lives in the good ol United States.

Or do I go 'responsible and boring'

;)

I reckon that's the option for you :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

unkel wrote: »
    If you can afford to buy and run a CTS-V or an XF 5.0NA, you obviously do live in a perfect world and maybe you should buy the car that goes with your vision of a perfect world (hint: not those two) ;)

Do you not know what the discount rates are in Afghanistan to stimulate the local economy? My perfect world includes artillery strikes and small arms fire!

Actually, I realised last night that if I sell my 2005 S4 Cabrio, I could, just, stretch to an XFR. An interesting proposal, but I really, really, love my Audi. On the one hand, I can't keep it for ever. On the other, I don't want to think I ditched it for the first new skirt I saw walk by. Yet another compromise decision to make.

NTM

Advertisement