Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless router for ps3

Options
  • 06-12-2009 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭

can anyone recommend a good wireless router that i can use for playstation online,currently have eircoms netopia router and ive given up on portforwarding and static ips,ive tried everything and find it impossible to change from nat type3.im looking for something thats good to go straight out of the box,no messing around with portforwarding or anything like that,thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

cambo2008 wrote: »
    im looking for something thats good to go straight out of the box,no messing around with portforwarding or anything like that,thanks in advance.

Not possible to do without having to configure, Your Netopia is a wireless modem, it does the pppoe dialling to get you on the Eircom network. Replacing it completely would mean having to setup a new modem with the Eircom settings. I've changed to a Linksys modem myself, its pretty easy to setup, but Linksys don't do a modem with wireless afaik, I've a seperate Linksys wireless router, works out expensive tho. Somebody else might post a link to a Netgear or Dlink one, I'm not all that familiar with their line of products, I prefer and recommend Linksys.

You could just replace the wireless side of things, get a wireless router and setup a static nat on the Netopia to your new wireless router, disabling wireless on Your Netopia and leave it doing the dialling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

thanks for reply,i know i would have to use eircom settings but would i still have to portforward or anything like that?from reading posts on this site it seems its the netopia router thats giving all the hassle,ive just switched over to eircom from ice broadband and had no problems getting nat2 with their router,didnt have to do anything with it apart from input ip,dns etc.

I can't fully answer that as I'm not a console gamer and have not experienced these issues but adding a wireless router, disabling the firewall on the Netopia and setting a static nat to the wireless router (forwards every single request to the router) would give You full control with the firewall on the router, should sort this issue.

I've also read here regularly about these problems with Netopia, not a fan of the Netopia myself which is why I changed mine to Linksys when one died on me.

Heres a Dlink that does wifi, no idea how good it is, Dlink are usually ok though
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-link-DSL-2640R-UK-Wireless-Router/dp/B0027DO6XK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260136504&sr=8-1
    and heres a Netgear
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG834G-54Mbps-Wireless-Firewall/dp/B0000TZ8Z8/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

nice one thanks,ill check them out,have a linksys modem router from last broadband unfortunately it has no dsl,they seem to be very reliable alrite,would have been handy but for the dsl

nice one thanks,ill check them out,have a linksys modem router from last broadband unfortunately it has no dsl,they seem to be very reliable alrite,would have been handy but for the dsl

Then just get a dsl modem and use the Linksys You got, I got this one and can talk u through setting it up
    http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/AM200

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not possible to do without having to configure, Your Netopia is a wireless modem, it does the pppoe dialling to get you on the Eircom network. Replacing it completely would mean having to setup a new modem with the Eircom settings. I've changed to a Linksys modem myself, its pretty easy to setup, but Linksys don't do a modem with wireless afaik.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=6351

im after getting the perlico zyxel router to try from someone on perlico that doesnt use it,i just replaced the netopia with it but no internet just dsl and wlan is there a way of setting it up for eircom?

im after getting the perlico zyxel router to try from someone on perlico that doesnt use it,i just replaced the netopia with it but no internet just dsl and wlan is there a way of setting it up for eircom?

Won't work without changing settings, here

yea thats what i was wondering,theres no installation disc for it and no internet connection to change the settings

• Advertisement

You need to connect Your pc to it and login to it using your browser. The ip address username and password are probably written on the back of it

i give up on that perlico one its driving me mad,got logged into it for few minutes then stopped and cant get back into it,think ill just go with the linksys above,thanks for all the help and info.

Here's my settings for the modem, disable the firewall. Use the firewall on Your existing Linksys router. Half bridge ticked will lease Your public ip to the router leaving the modem as a bridge

Capture-2.png

Advertisement