Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A simple religion?

Options
  • 06-12-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Is there any religion out there that believes in God, and possibly Jesus and Mary. Rather than all the other stuff that surrounds religion. All I want is to pray to God, Jesus and Mary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Just pray then. Why do you have to subscribe to a religion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Born again christian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Chong wrote: »
    Is there any religion out there that believes in God, and possibly Jesus and Mary. Rather than all the other stuff that surrounds religion. All I want is to pray to God, Jesus and Mary.

Religion is a very simple thing, made complicated by some. Religion is about what you want to do, but over time some one has added all these add ons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

If you believed "just" in God and Jesus what would that mean?

Jesus and Mary don't make much sense without the context of "all the other stuff" in the Jewish religion. The resurrection of Jesus is set in the context of the Fall and the salvation of mankind, and the prophecies of the Old Testament.

Without being sent to Earth for the resurrection Jesus is just a guy. Without the Fall what was the point of the resurrection etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

karlog wrote: »
    Born again christian

I'm not sure what you understand by the term born again Christian, but I don't see Evangelical Christianity as being a particularity "simple" denomination. Besides, Evangelicals (the denomination most often associated with the term Born Again Christian - as distinct from the overarching concept of being born again) - don't pray to Mary.

Chong, I'm not sure how to answer your question. While I understand that you may not want to get too bogged down in all the crap associated with religion, it seems to me that you really don't know what you are looking for. (And that's not intended to be an insult, btw.) At a fundamental level, the whole point of Christianity is Jesus, so if you are interested in exploring Christianity, then you simply can't leave him out. With this in mind, I would encourage you to read the Gospels.

I would also suggest that you not to dismiss religion out of hand. At it's best, religion is our attempt to begin to understand God, which certainly isn't a fundamentally bad thing in itself. However, like any attempt to grasp something beyond us, the opportunity for error, misunderstanding and, sadly, abuse is always present.

With respect to Christianity, I think that there are many sincere churches spread out over many denominations that attempt to keep Jesus and his resurrection as the focus of their worship, as well as the reason for them attempting to do good in the world. It seems to me that this is Christianity at its most basic and, therefore, most sincere.

I feel, though, that it is important not to think that this way need be though of as being simple. I say this because often people will equate the word simple with the word stupid. One can intellectually "drill down" into Christianity as much as one wishes. Hopefully the difference here is that there will be less of the baggage that is often associated with religion.

As well as advising you to read the Gospels, and finding a Church that focuses on the message contained within (people here could give you some suggestions, no doubt), I would also encourage you to pick up a copy of Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. It's a very good and accessible introduction to the basics of Christianity. It shouldn't cost you more than €10 on Amazon or in a bookshop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sounds too complicated to me. All I want to do is to pray to God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Every faith has "rules" which are based on biblical teaching, to ensure that nothing done in worship or our daily lives is unseemly to God. For example basic rules on taking communion - so that its not a free-for-all as once discussed in Paul's letters. (Sorry, the reference escapes me right now)

Two things to consider might be the style of church accomodation and the style of worship.

Many churches keep things simple with basic accomodation in plain churches, sports halls or community centres.

Many churches have a very simple style of worship with little or no formal liturgy.

There is lots to choose from and I promise they dont bite! You would be made very welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

Just pray to any god then in your own way

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

PDN wrote: »
    Sounds too complicated to me. All I want to do is to pray to God.

Wouldn't you say the bible is pretty complicated though? Not to mention the way it gets interpreted. All those absolutes that turn into metaphors over time when they start to sound silly, and all those contradictions. Maybe there's an even simpler approach to the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Yes, the bible can be complicated, but Christian Faith at its most basic is very simple. John 3 V16 sums it up. Paul summed it up well in 1 Corinthians - people have to start somewhere in their faith, but as you mature in your faith you seek to understand God more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement