Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the obsession with Top Gear?

Options
  • 06-12-2009 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

After reading a few different threads about good / bad cars, I noticed that many peoples reasoning was based on what Top Gear thought of the car.

I'm fed up with it - seems more of a programme for people who don't really know much about cars or are happy to be fed stupid lines from Jeremy Clarkson.
    (example of when he talks about the cars handling on a track as he's doing spins...hardly means anything when actually driving the same car around a proper road)

why do people put so much value into what they say on that programme? don't they have minds of their own?!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

This'll probably get moved to the TG forum.

Anyhoo.....The TG team & production company have long admitted that it is less of a "car review" show and more of an entertainment show.

Some of their films are cringeingly scripted (even though they pretend they're spontaneous) but they show off nice cars and destroy caravans.....what's not to like? :confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Personally not a big fan anymore, but ya got to admit. The Top Gear Team have put together a very successful car show that sells internationally. Don't like the show but hats off to them they are the biggest international motoring TV program.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thread moved to Top Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

betafrog wrote: »
    There seems to be a few 'newer' posters of late who seem to be intent on stirring things up a bit. This forum has lately gone from being a place to discuss motors (and quite a decent place to do so at that) into regular rows over how shîte Top Gear is, or how so and so hasn't a clue because they don't like a certain car.

It's become far too personal and rather than discussing motors we seem to spend more time discussing each other... Is getting very tiresome.
    True.
    If you don't like Top Gear than watch something else, rather than spending your time complaining about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

True.
    If you don't like Top Gear than watch something else, rather than spending your time complaining about it.
    exactly.
    No point in starting a thread asking why people like something and others dont.
    Horses for courses and all that.
    I find some of the posts saying that people who watch top gear dont know anything about cars to be so stupid its funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Who watches Top Gear for car reviews? Most people will never be able to afford 99% of the cars they 'review'. I watch it because it entertains the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Who watches Top Gear for car reviews? Most people will never be able to afford 99% of the cars they 'review'. I watch it because it entertains the hell out of me.

me too! the quality has gone down lately but it's better than other things you could do with an hour! Still love it though.............

Advertisement