Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Buildings in the City

Options
  • 06-12-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

OK so i have my construction studies project to do this year for LC, i'm only in 5th year but we are doing the write up this year, i'm going to do a heritage project instead of the usual furniture piece. which basically means i study a local building in my locality, study the history of it for the write up and produce a replica scale building from wood.

So the buildings i have in mind are:

The tech
    An O'Connell St building
    St Josephs Hospital
    Arup on Hartsonge St (as far as im aware it was a former fianna fail building and is aesthetically pleasing)

any other sugestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The Stone Jug near Taits Clock. It is the grey building that looks like a mini-greek temple.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Goldenvale factory down by river
    Old mill building ranks down by docks
    Round house pub don't know if its old enough but it different.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How about Flannerys up by the Cornmarket. There was a thread on here trying to find information on it but nobody could help.

The original building might be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

alot of lads i know where doing stuff like that in town. i even done some health center. try looking at something completly original

king johns castle would be easy and there is tons of info about it online. plus youll get rep for originality

• Registered Users Posts: 23,748 ✭✭✭✭phog

How about old Limerick, places like King John's Castle, St. Mary's Cathedral, Kilrush Church (off NCR), Bishop's Palace now HQ for Civic Thrust, Toll House on Thomond Bridge, St Munchin's church, Customs Hse, Court house, any of the boat clubs, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

phog wrote: »
    How about old Limerick, places like King John's Castle, St. Mary's Cathedral, Kilrush Church (off NCR), Bishop's Palace now HQ for Civic Thrust, Toll House on Thomond Bridge, St Munchin's church, Customs Hse, Court house, any of the boat clubs, etc.

hey that was my idea you idea robber you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/scrattletrap/Limerick/pres.jpg

The Presbyterian Church, P.

Built in 1901 this building is no longer in religious use, the community relocated their church to Christ Church on O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

LB6 wrote: »
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/scrattletrap/Limerick/pres.jpg

The Presbyterian Church, P.

Built in 1901 this building is no longer in religious use, the community relocated their church to Christ Church on O'Connell Street.

My OH's friend works in there and they say they are constantly having people wandering in asking two things:

Is this still a church(normally tourists).
    Is this the courthouse(normally up in court that day).

Down in the basement where they store all there files are the cells which held the boyo's before they were taken into court. She doesn't like being down there.

lol don't blame her - don't think I'd like to be down there either! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Old mill building ranks down by docks

Love that one myself. Shame to see it abandoned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Leamy's school on Hartstonge street.
    The old City hall on Ruthland/Patrick Street (formerly Lim Post newspaper office) - there's also a door down there that I heard someone say was the oldest door in Limerick. Might be worth checking out before the Opera centre does damage (if ever!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

How about St.Camillus' hospital on Shelbourne Rd? Lots of history there, as far as I know it was a poorhouse during the famine..

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

the boat club on Sarsfield Bridge - the one on the left heading into town. Lovely old building - built about 1091. Designed by Clifford Smith who won architectural competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

There's loads of buildings around town you could focus on, you could look at the castle, St Mary's Cathederal, St. Johns Cathederal, The old Garda house on O'Curry Street, The Model School, Sarsfield Barracks etc etc, there's so many buildings around town you can look at that have a large and varied history.

Don't forget Shannon Rowing Club

http://www.shannonrowingclub.com/

Advertisement