Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband keeps disconnecting

Options
  • 06-12-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

I use a Belkin wireless router and I have an XP Dell laptop. Our broadband is Eircom Home Professional. Every so often my internet just disconnects randomly and I can't get it back through repairing it or looking for the network again. However, if I leave it a few minutes and try again it usually comes back. My brother's laptop doesn't do anything similar so I reckon it's an internal problem with my laptop.

I'd be much appreciative of any suggestions how I can rectify this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Could be a virus thing called internet hijacker happened to me aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Try changing the channel your router broadcasts on. Are there other wireless networks in the immediate area? Also there is a setting in some routers provided by Eircom that have a setting that disconnects the router when it is deemed to be not in use. Have a look for something to that affect in the router login page.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Check and see if any network nearby is transmiting on the same channel....if its Vista bring up the command prompt and type this in netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid that will report other networks and channels and work fromt there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

There is a BT one close by, but it doenst happen to my brothers laptop ever, he's operating off the same router.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

saw an issue once where two laptops on a network had the exact same 'PC Name', and that caused connection issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement