Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 Low energy bulbs - £2.44 - Amazon - Handy Filler item!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks lindtee.

I'm still waiting for sendit to ship my Bourne boxset, so I'm gonna cancel them, order through Amazon, and fill up to the £25 using bulbs.

Bright idea! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

This looks like a great deal, been trying to replace all bulbs in our house (3 floors!) with these but they are so expensive in shops. That's what worries me, how could can these be at this price? Do they really save the energy they claim?

edit: also maybe I'm being really dense but if it says 11watts won't it mean very low level of lighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

18W is considered equivalent to a 100W incandescent bulb, so these will be dimmer than that. Fine for hallways or lamps but I wouldn't have one as the main bulb in my room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

11W bulbs are the equivalent to 60W incandescent (normal) bulbs.

Very good price, another thing that is shockingly overpriced here!

(AFAIK, we don't have long left with the regular bulbs, its 2010 they're being phased out.)

Thanks for replies Ciaran and Sofiz - I think I'm confused so. These are not the super energy efficient bulbs that are gradually replacing the older types?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

They're heavily subsidised by the UK government. The same low prices are available in shops up north which works out pretty sweet for us Mexicans but I'd expect to see some kind of limitation brought in soon as people start taking the piss-travellers are already going around door to door here selling them on. I've got enough to last me until about 2030 for my business so cheers to our British chums!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Yep, they are. CFL. Compact Fluorescent Lighting. Thats these boyo's.

Oh, and another note to everyone, these are NOT recommended for anyone with photosensitive Epilepsy, or for use in bathrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

tommy21 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies Ciaran and Sofiz - I think I'm confused so. These are not the super energy efficient bulbs that are gradually replacing the older types?
    Yeah they are.

What we're saying is they use 11W of energy while giving out the same amount of light as a normal bulb that uses 60W of energy.

Thanks all that's smashing. To think I was going to buy two for €8 the other day in Dunnes but thought I best look around first!:eek:

lindtee wrote: »
    I spotted these when I was looking for something to bring my order up to £25 for the free delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0014FEWR2/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

31UHZl6MggL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

(Price above includes the VAT adjustment)

Its £5.25 delivery for one so I best look around first and see if I can do same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Its £5.25 delivery for one so I best look around first and see if I can do same.

That's what the op was talking about. Add the bulbs to your order to bring the total over £25, and get free shipping.

Soarer wrote: »
    That's what the op was talking about. Add the bulbs to your order to bring the total over £25, and get free shipping.

Yup just ordered 3 sets (so 24 bulbs) and various other pressies, so fingers crossed they all arrive in time for Xmas. I'd say the next day or two is the time you'd want to be getting last minute amazon orders in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Anyone think it might be a good idea to have an amazon filler item thread, for (good and bargainish) items up to £5. I have often been looking for items for a quid or 2 to bring it up to £25, and end up getting rubbish! These bulbs a rare good find!

I agree with Tommy, best get the orders in the next few days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I agree with Tommy, best get the orders in the next few days!!!

Amazon are saying that the last day for Irish Super Saver orders for Christmas is 20th December !! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200037830
    It must be a mistake - because on the same page they say UK Super Saver orders have to be done by 18th December ?
    I think you'd be ok up to around 11th / 12th December . I have emailed Amazon for the correct dates.

Update: - Amazon replied really quickly to say that the 20th Dec date is correct - and yes it is later that the UK date. I hope An Post are as fast as Amazon think they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I have often been looking for items for a quid or 2 to bring it up to £25, and end up getting rubbish!

That £25 limit is after Irish Vat has been added - so the pre Irish Vat trigger price for free delivery is about £23.60 .

Some Amazon Fillers Here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ogham wrote: »
    Update: - Amazon replied really quickly to say that the 20th Dec date is correct - and yes it is later that the UK date. I hope An Post are as fast as Amazon think they are!

Ye in fairness, any of the orders from amazon the past month or so are really quick. Fastest of any uk site. Hope it keeps up. Ordering on a thursday and having it delivered monday is good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I spotted these when I was looking for something to bring my order up to £25 for the free delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0014FEWR2/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

31UHZl6MggL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

(Price above includes the VAT adjustment)

Thanks I ordered these. I am hopeing they are the fast on one's I will order another set as spares if they are... Thanks agains

• Registered Users Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Yup just ordered 3 sets (so 24 bulbs) and various other pressies, so fingers crossed they all arrive in time for Xmas. I'd say the next day or two is the time you'd want to be getting last minute amazon orders in!

Looks like there's a 3 set purchasing limit on these.

Well done to all those who managed to get these....I've ammended my OP, as they've put them up to £19.99:mad::rolleyes::eek::confused:

• Advertisement

Well done to all those who managed to get these....I've ammended my OP, as they've put them up to £19.99:mad::rolleyes::eek::confused:

Was it not £2.44 Each, seems weird that they charge £2.44 for an 8 pack.
    £19.99 for 8 is £2.49 each maybe thats what you ment????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,386 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i got 5 philips 11w for 50p in sainsbury spricfield.

there 49p each or 5 for 50p.
    worth keeping an eye out for if up north

Was it not £2.44 Each, seems weird that they charge £2.44 for an 8 pack.
    £19.99 for 8 is £2.49 each maybe thats what you ment????

No, it was £2.31 pre irish vat adjustment for an 8 pack, I know what I meant:rolleyes::rolleyes:. As many have pointed out on this thread cfl bulbs are very cheap in the uk, so in fact this would be a very expensive set of bulbs there:)

No, it was £2.31 pre irish vat adjustment for an 8 pack, I know what I meant:rolleyes::rolleyes:. As many have pointed out on this thread cfl bulbs are very cheap in the uk, so in fact this would be a very expensive set of bulbs there:)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I stand corrected. Why is it that we IRISH get ripped off in every dept. Let's hope Amazon have those back again on offer :D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I stand corrected. Why is it that we IRISH get ripped off in every dept. Let's hope Amazon have those back again on offer :D

I'd say they put them up, because of the influx of orders from here:) Didn't mean to be rude btw:)

Hmm, I ordered the bulbs (3 sets) and 3 other items. All have been processed and shipped except the bulbs which are pending or some such nonesense :rolleyes: I sense another Disney/Argos Dwarf debacle coming on.

Hmm, I ordered the bulbs (3 sets) and 3 other items. All have been processed and shipped except the bulbs which are pending or some such nonesense :rolleyes: I sense another Disney/Argos Dwarf debacle coming on.

Mine are down as "dispatching soon" which means they will actually dispatch soon. Have faith! It wasn't a misprice, Amazon just raised the price because of an influx of ROI orders!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

I hiope they don't buzz ... I have a couple at home that buzz and it's annoyin'

Advertisement