Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Vs Hewitt, Cork.

Options
  • 06-12-2009 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi.
    Need some advice, i'm torn between the two (ie i can't differentiate at all between them) for full term 6th year next year.

Subjects i'm doing are irish, english, maths, french, history, biology and business. will take up either classics or economics. All at HL.

Anyone have personal experience or know someone who did?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plinkyplanky

Hiya. I went to hewitt for my leaving last year, so i may aswell throw my thoughts about it out there.
    Based on the subjects yer doing, hewitt would probably suit you pretty well - i found the teachers for higher french, biology and english in particular to be brilliant, and the higher irish teacher is apparently well good too.

Your best bet is probly to meet with both principals, see what sort of a feeling you get for each school, so on and so forth.

either way, expect a lot of hard work, it's a tough year really. May also be useful to keep in mind that hewitt is a lot closer to centra, and that hill is proper steep...

good luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

I do hl maths grinds in Bruce on Saturday mornings and the teacher is fantastic. He also does economics grinds and I hear he's good at that too but I don't have any first hand expierience tbh. I can't really comment on Hewitt because I don't even know anybody who goes there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lotuzplaza

Hiya. I went to hewitt for my leaving last year, so i may aswell throw my thoughts about it out there.
    Based on the subjects yer doing, hewitt would probably suit you pretty well - i found the teachers for higher french, biology and english in particular to be brilliant, and the higher irish teacher is apparently well good too.

Your best bet is probly to meet with both principals, see what sort of a feeling you get for each school, so on and so forth.

either way, expect a lot of hard work, it's a tough year really. May also be useful to keep in mind that hewitt is a lot closer to centra, and that hill is proper steep...

good luck anyway!

how would you rate hewitt for maths and history? pretty worried about them. A good french and english teacher is promising though. Basically the reason i want to leave my present school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lotuzplaza

Interzone wrote: »
    I do hl maths grinds in Bruce on Saturday mornings and the teacher is fantastic. He also does economics grinds and I hear he's good at that too but I don't have any first hand expierience tbh. I can't really comment on Hewitt because I don't even know anybody who goes there
    Sean O Brien! I go to him for maths too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plinkyplanky

how would you rate hewitt for maths and history? pretty worried about them. A good french and english teacher is promising though. Basically the reason i want to leave my present school./QUOTE]

Well, i did pass maths, (another great teacher) but the honours maths teacher was also really good apparently, but i think there's a new one this year?
    I never really heard much about history tbh, not many of my friends did it, so i cant really offer an opinion there, sorry.

What school are you in now, do you mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

lotuzplaza wrote: »
    how would you rate hewitt for maths and history? pretty worried about them. A good french and english teacher is promising though. Basically the reason i want to leave my present school.

If its a good French teacher you're looking for, I'd say Hewitt would be the place to go but for subjects like maths, I've heard some good things about the teachers in Bruce so its a tough one to call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Im in Bruce atm and theres a good few people who came from Hewit claiming it was a joke((Not saying anything bad myself just quoting them))

The Iris teacher is really good but piles on allot
    The English teacher well is a bitch tbh and has been complained to so many times but knows what to expect on the test pretty clearly
    The Bio teacher is an absolute ledgend and is really helpful
    History teacher is quite good as well,He's also a lecturer over in UCC
    The Business teacher is also really nice but also piles work
    and economics with Sean is a good ole craic,Makes it really easy to learn.

With Bruce you also get free Christmas and Easter revision courses that cost a few hundred for outsiders as well as free grinds and a really good after school and during he day study.

Bad sides are the hill,the 8:40mstart and the 45 in lunch other than that its pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ctbaffled

Just wondering what the most recent wisdom is on which school is best. Thinking of subjects like French, Business, Economics and Social & Scientific. Also pass Maths and Irish.

Advertisement