Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Haras Stout

Options
  • 06-12-2009 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

im a big fan of guinness, beamish and murphys and ive been hearing a lot of great reviews of this stout and i am mad to try it out. does anyone know of any where in the drumcondra/glasnevin area that has it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Not sure but I had a few pints of in earlier in O'neills on Suffolk Street.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You'll get it on draught in O'Neill's and the Bull & Castle. The bottled version is better though, and Sweeney's in Glasnevin probably have that. DrinkStore on Manor Street definitely does, and again you'll find it in the Bull & Castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's on tap in The Hole In The Wall on Blackhorse Avenue, which isn't really too far from Glasnevin at all. Was down there yesterday. Drinking it all afternoon. It's a lovely stout, much more robust than guinness, lovely roasty taste off it, and zero bitterness.

Get there quick though, as the owner told me that it's not selling much, so they won't be getting any more in once they are sold out.

Ask him for a few glasses too, he was chatting to me about a promotion they had, tasting O'Hara's, so I asked him had he any glasses left. He asked me did I want six! So I took six off him, he has some left too.

The fella who owns/runs that pub is a gas character, and it's one of my favourite pubs in Dublin because of him.

He gave us free pints of O'Hara's yesterday because we moved seats so some other couple could sit down to have something to eat.

Great pub!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

On a sighty related note, Aldi have started selling re-badged O'Hara's Red in their stores. 4 330ml bottles for €4.95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

IronMan wrote: »
    On a sighty related note, Aldi have started selling re-badged O'Hara's Red in their stores. 4 330ml bottles for €4.95.

What are they calling it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

premium Irish ale or something like that. afaik its the only Irish ale they have, and its part of their specially selected range. Can't find a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

premium Irish ale or something like that. afaik its the only Irish ale they have, and its part of their specially selected range. Can't find a link.

Yep O'Hara's

here is a thread on it

http://www.irishcraftbrewer.com/Community/viewtopic.php?t=3560

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've not tried it yet, but slayerking, cavedave and bionic_laura have all said it's different to O'Hara's Red. I'm going to try them side-by-side when I get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

IronMan wrote: »

I dont think its rebadged O'Haras red. Well, from what I can recall, I havn't tried them side by side. The Aldi Irish ale is much more Roasty than O'Haras red. O'Haras red tastes more like Chocolate malt was used to get the red colour rather than Roasted Barley.

I prefer the Aldi!!! Must try em side by side.

What do people think of the price of them/ quality you get for the money? if they were 500ml bottles it woudl be great, at 330ml though I feel like I'm better off buying named ales, or sticking to the cheaper aldi booze.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

It was actually €5.95, just checking the receipt. Definitely not the same as O'Haras red. I enjoyed it, but not enough to justify the price. Would rather some of the shepherds neame range in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's most definitely not rebadged O'Hara's Red. Much, much more roasty.

What do people think of the price of them/ quality you get for the money? if they were 500ml bottles it woudl be great, at 330ml though I feel like I'm better off buying named ales, or sticking to the cheaper aldi booze.
    Well that depends on whether or not you think it's value. No point in paying 0.39c for a 2 litre bottle of beer if the beer is manky.
    Personally I think it's worth the €1.50 per bottle. It's a great tasting beer and it's on my favourites list at the moment.

I dunno what I was trying to say with that post, mainly that I don't like 300ml bottles I guess.

Advertisement