Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VBAC or Elective C Section on Number 2?

Options
  • 05-12-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hello again ladies, first thread as a new mammy to be!! Be prepared for my questions lol!!

So, on number 1 I ended up with an emergency c section due to fetal distress (they had left me all day with Addison having a low heart rate and dropping even more during contractions... but how and ever). I also had to have a general anesthetic due to my epidural wearing off and being unable to top it up (spent a good half hour in theatre trying to top it up before they decided to put me under).

Cons in the hospital have said that I have a 70% chance at a VBAC but if I really wanted an elective section this time around then that would be fine with them too.

It upset my partner being unable to be present at the birth of his daughter and I wouldn't like to put him through the trauma of seeing me rushed off to theatre and him unable to hold my hand if it were to happen again during labour. But on the other hand I felt kind of empty because I didn't actual "see" my baby being born!

I also have another baby to think about and the reality is if I had a successful VBAC I could be out of hospital within a day or two, compared to 4-5 days in hospital after a c section.

So many pros and cons... just looking for advice really...

Adrieanne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I can only tell you about my personal choice; I am going for a VBAC. The recovery period is a major concern for me- I just cannot imagine not lifting my toddlers for 6+ weeks, and your first baby will be even smaller than mine arend less able to do stuff for herself.

Also, we are hoping to have maybe one or two more after this- and while due to fertility issues and age that may not happen, it factors into my decision. I am told fertility can be impacted by sections and pregnancies also, plus every recovery after subsequent sections is harder.

My other two reasons for a VBAC are the higher risk of maternal death (even though very small!) with a repeat section- that was a big deciding factor for my husband- and also emotionally; I would really like to have an experience of "natural" birth.

Good luck whatever you decide and congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Hi Adrienne...
    Big congrats on being pregnant with No 2!! I'll be interested to hear what other people say to this. Even though my little angel is only 13 weeks I am already thinking these very same thoughts as mine was an emergency c too. I was very disappointed not to have had her naturally but I didn't even go into labour so it was all pretty shocking, the shock was as hard to recover from as the operation, I just kept thinking I can't believe that people elect for this its so hard!! But anyway I'm thinking its better the devil you know than the devil you don't if we have another one... esp if there are similar complications. Anyway hope it all goes well for you, a happy and healthy baby is the main thing irrespective of how they get here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Silja i think we posted at the same time as i didn't see your post til now... that is food for thought alright, didn't know about maternal death risk :eek: if you're thinking of having more than 2 or 3 though I can defo see why you want to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

Hi, i'm 5 months pg with baby # 2. 1st baby was emergency c-section though done under epidural so was awake through out it all.
    I'm hoping and praying that I will be able for a vbac this time round, the thoughts of undergoing another operation and all the recovery time - not to mention the 5 days in hospital are just destroying me.
    If I could have it any which way then I would definitely choose VBAC, however my consultant has said that that may not be possible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Hi Adrienne. Congratulations. I hope to be joining you in a few months. I hope addison is thriving like my Bridget. 70% seems very good odds for a vbac. My friend had an emergency section on her first and had her 2nd in Kerry a few weeks ago. Tried for vbac and ended up with another emergency section. Was exhausted and annoyed. You might remember my feelings on elective sections. Yay etc! Personally I think you should go for the vbac but be prepared for the section. Just make sure you get an epidural nice and early so your husband can be there if a section is necessary.

I was out of hosp on day 4 and had a very easy recovery time. Looking after a toddler would be a different story though. Am still determined to never have a vaginal birth though.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement