Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any app that can alarm you to internet disconnection

Options
  • 05-12-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

Playing a few sngs earlier on iPoker when I got disconnected. Get no indication that I'm disconnected until after 9 -10 seconds I realise there's nothing happening on all of my tables and by the time I log back in I've lost a couple of blinds at the end stage of the game - so twas a costly disconnection

Anyway if I knew straight away that I had got disconnected then it might have saved me a few bucks. So was wondering if there wasn't some little app there that could just bleep or something as soon as you disconnect, so by the time you go through the rigmarole of logging out and back in on iPoker that you have the best chance of limiting the damage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Multiping will do what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

luckylucky wrote: »

Anyway if I knew straight away that I had got disconnected then it might have saved me a few bucks.

Excuse my ignorance, but how would this info save you anything in a sng? Resetting your router earlier or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Excuse my ignorance, but how would this info save you anything in a sng? Resetting your router earlier or something?

My broadband where I am at the moment isn't great, so occasionally it can go off briefly and come back again quickly. I also have a backup 3G connection. So if my broadband is down as soon as I'm alerted to that I can react quicker by switching to 3G if needs be and shutting down and re-starting ipoker. When your big-blind is like 20% or more of your stack getting back in to a tourney, 10,15, 20 seconds quicker can make a big difference. Obviously earlier on in a tournament it's not so imperative.

Also cheers for that Fatguy - I've just started looking at it but I think it might do the job. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but this got me thinking.

Is there a way to have 2 connections running in parallel so your internet stays up if one drops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 IascFear

Grafter wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but this got me thinking.

Is there a way to have 2 connections running in parallel so your internet stays up if one drops?

Yes, of course there is, means having to internet feeds and there will be a short loss of connection while it connects to the one in reserve

You can use a LAN BB (Eircom ETC) and have a USB dongle as reserve (Vodafone ETC).

When one goes down, connect to the other one through your connections.

Once you had a pre-connection (as in the application started and connected) you wont have to restart your programs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

IascFear wrote: »
    Yes, of course there is, means having to internet feeds and there will be a short loss of connection while it connects to the one in reserve

You can use a LAN BB (Eircom ETC) and have a USB dongle as reserve (Vodafone ETC).

When one goes down, connect to the other one through your connections.

Once you had a pre-connection (as in the application started and connected) you wont have to restart your programs.
    That won't work. Not seamlessly anyway. Your second connection will have a separate IP address and you'll still have to close the client and log-in again.

I'm not sure how good Windows is at managing multiple connections these days (I've had no need to explore the possibility since the early days of XP) but last time I checked, you'll need a specific router to manage traffic across both connections (eg: route downloads through one connection, internet traffic through another.)

Something like this DLink load-balancing router would do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

Sorry, should have included "automatically" in my question.

AdMMM wrote: »
    That won't work. Not seamlessly anyway. Your second connection will have a separate IP address and you'll still have to close the client and log-in again.

I'm not sure how good Windows is at managing multiple connections these days (I've had no need to explore the possibility since the early days of XP) but last time I checked, you'll need a specific router to manage traffic across both connections (eg: route downloads through one connection, internet traffic through another.)

An internal shared network would elevate that issue but yes your right with regards to two different IP ranges.

Or alternatively you can use 2 - 4 internet connections and combine their speed to give you one connection.

So surmising you have a combined speed of 10MB and one connection goes down (your main one of 7MB, you would still have a reserve of 3MB).

Would defiantly need an internal network for this and a MAHA Integrator

I don't suppose you wrote the only available review on the internet of this MAHA Integrator?
    i have resently but a device calld MAHA Integrator and it dos the job
    i connected 4 internet lines to it and after that have don a speed test on my combined lines and it shoes 4 times as moch as a single line in both upload and download
    if anyone needs one you can call and get one from them

Honestly looks like you just Googled and chanced your arm!

I don't suppose you wrote the only available review on the internet of this MAHA Integrator?

Honestly looks like you just Googled and chanced your arm!

You want to refine your search capabilities mate

Results 1 - 10 of about 13,100 for MAHA broadband Integrator. (0.23 seconds)

Not sure what you think I have to gain, the guy asked a question, I have suggested two ways of helping him .....

It really is that simple ...... how and why you reply to posts and your own apparent agenda are entirely your own doings.

You should embrace knowledge, not scorn it :D

• Advertisement

Grafter wrote: »
    Sorry, should have included "automatically" in my question.

By the way Grafter ...

Link to the company

http://www.mahapc.com

I know of three customers of mine based down the country using this method successfully (similar idea), I have no need myself BUT I have seen it in use and if you can use the search function in Google better than some you will find hundreds of reviews.

Good luck

John

IascFear wrote: »
    You want to refine your search capabilities mate

Results 1 - 10 of about 13,100 for MAHA broadband Integrator. (0.23 seconds)

Not sure what you think I have to gain, the guy asked a question, I have suggested two ways of helping him .....

It really is that simple ...... how and why you reply to posts and your own apparent agenda are entirely your own doings.

You should embrace knowledge, not scorn it :D
    Did you even look at the search results? The "official" website doesn't even feature! The official website looks like it was created with all the skills of a 6 year old with learning disabilities. The technologies that it claims to use doesn't exist. There's no images available on Google for it. The only reviews that I could find (and for the record, I can use Google) are like the poorly spelt one I quoted above which are anonymously posted by newly registered users on random forums. In fact I invite you to provide a review from a reputable source rather than expecting us to rely on the thumbs up from 3 hicks down the country.

It's looks to be nothing more than a scam and while you may get a box, chances are it just flashes some lights every now and again to make it look like it's doing something. I hope nobody on here is misled by your misinformation!
    Not sure what you think I have to gain

It's not about what you have to gain (although it does look like they have a partner program on their website), it's about what other people can potentially lose by following such advice.

Did you even look at the search results? The "official" website doesn't even feature! The official website looks like it was created with all the skills of a 6 year old with learning disabilities. .

Their website does look poor, you do know I didnt design it

The technologies that it claims to use doesn't exist. There's no images available on Google for it. The only reviews that I could find (and for the record, I can use Google) are like the poorly spelt one I quoted above which are anonymously posted by newly registered users on random forums. In fact I invite you to provide a review from a reputable source .

I don’t know what technology they use (I assumed it was load balancing).... nor do I care ... there are plenty of sites claiming to use this or similar technologies that work (how many times do I need to reiterate this to you)

Believe me, I know what I am talking about, this you will need to trust

rather than expecting us to rely on the thumbs up from 3 hicks down the country.

I will decline to comment here and the basis I may come across as being stereotypical

It's looks to be nothing more than a scam and while you may get a box, chances are it just flashes some lights every now and again to make it look like it's doing something..

Your opinion, I have stressed I have not used it

I hope nobody on here is misled by your misinformation!.

You patronising twat ..... I am trying to give some advice, no more than that, I am sure folk are educated or savvy enough to make their own decisions based on what has been put in front of them, I have even stressed I have not used it

I am not sure of your background or what makes you such a perceived expert but I have said and for you I will say again, I know of people using similar technologies.

I am not here to appease folk nor am I here to gain friends or gain popularity.

I may add, I simply came on here to ask a question as I play on the Irish poker scene regularly and have heard folk mention the site ... that’s it, I was not expecting to contribute or answer any questions, I am only replying to your post as my email account notified of your post.

The guy asked a question, I have offered 3 alternatives and wished him good luck, I assume if he decides to make a decision on any option he would have done a little research than necessarily jumping in.

It's not about what you have to gain (although it does look like they have a partner program on their website), it's about what other people can potentially lose by following such advice.

Please see last reply.

I don’t know you (not that I am aware of) but you have came across as a bit of a twat to me …. You have made acquisitions that I am talking rubbish and implied that somehow I am trying to scam this chap …

I was offering advice, something you obviously try to do profligately

Regards

John

Advertisement