Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Renovation & Extension

Options
  • 05-12-2009 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I am in the process of buying a house and doing some renovations and also building an extension for the kitchen and living area. I was hoping some of ye could give me some pointers on what watch out for. Here is some background.
    - first floor ceiling needs removing and replacing with insulated plasterboard.
    - some parts of the house need dry lining.
    - plumbing needs replacing
    - want to build an extension about 25-30ft by 10-12ft and keep under pp limit. want to add utility room and kitchen/living open plan. as much light as possible with as much insulation as possible.
    The house is about 50yrs old.
    Any help or pointers would be appreciated.
    bp.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Get a good arch tech to look at it, to see what's achievable before committing to buying it.

I would often say to client, when they buy second hand, live in the house for a year or so , (if habitable) to get a feel for the house before building an extension or undertaking any works. you may find some of the accommodation is not what you imagined (eg not as sunny as you thought it would be or a room has a nice view or experience ... evening sunset ) and you may want to change the layout to suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Snap . Get to really know the place over time .
    Build prices are static and you will will not suffer construction inflation

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

thanks guys that was something the mrs and i were thinking of doing, it makes good sense to get a feel for the house first.

Advertisement