Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moon from Thursday night

Options
  • 05-12-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

All

Managed about 3 hours under the sky on Thursday night. With the moons massive light pollution. It was the only thing to image.

medium image: farm3.static.flickr.com/2555/4160650548_33746b0937_b.jpg

large image: farm3.static.flickr.com/2555/4160650548_3680bfa48b_o.jpg

Clear skies
    calchas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They're savage pics,the detail is incredible,thanks for posting them.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

calchas wrote: »
    All

Managed about 3 hours under the sky on Thursday night. With the moons massive light pollution. It was the only thing to image.

medium image: farm3.static.flickr.com/2555/4160650548_33746b0937_b.jpg

large image: farm3.static.flickr.com/2555/4160650548_3680bfa48b_o.jpg

Clear skies
    calchas

Astonishing detail... what equipment did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭calchas

I was very pleased with it when finished, but am starting to see where I could have done better. Also need to work out a way to deal with the very different illumination between the sunward side and the terminator.

Scope: 254mm f5 newtonian
    Mount: EQ6
    Camera: DMK41AU02
    at scope prime focus
    IR-cut filter
    gain 450, exposure 1/350s
    Processing: 12 shots of 2000 frames
    stacked in registax5
    merged in photo-shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Those links are not working for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

mike65 wrote: »
    Those links are not working for me.

Mike65, I copied and pasted the link into the search toolbar and it worked.

Amazing, amazing photos Calchas. The detail is spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Flickr search reveals nothing nor google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mary.

Great pics calchas, mind if I use one as my desktop picture!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Fantastic pics OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Excellent pics. The moon was extremely bright all week. Got out the telescope a few times to look at it and tbh nothing beats seeing it like that in real life. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Any tips on finding the moon, im new to this and find it quite hard. its easier to get jupiter and stars up....
    very good pics btw.

Many thanks to all for many kind words.
    I've changed the license on flickr, so anyone that wants to use it as a screen saver or whatever can. I'd be honoured and humbled by that.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_beaney/4160650548/

As to finding the moon, well in general look up and about.
    Specifically:
    To know when and where it is in the sky, use stellarium or http://www.calsky.com.
    To sight a telescope, use the longest focal length eyepiece. either sight down the scope or use a finder to initially align, once found move to shorter focal lenght ep's.

For very young moons they are hard to see until they are ~2 days old. Theyy set close to the time of the sun and are very slim cresents. I have a project in mind for the spring to capture the image of a day old moon, we'll see in time. Always be careful with a scope if the sun is above the horizon.

Calchas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

...very impressive Calchas. It certainly puts my Aldi telescope to shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Calchas what telescope do you have? What is the aperture?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Calchas , Really amazing pictures , thank you , really loved to see them , they are excellent to be honest , really good !!

Was reading your camera info and exposure rate etc

Camera: DMK41AU02
    at scope prime focus
    IR-cut filter
    gain 450, exposure 1/350s
    Processing: 12 shots of 2000 frames
    stacked in registax5
    merged in photo-shop
    WOW !!

Here are 2 shots i took last may with my Mobile Phone Tucked up to the eyepiece of my
    Celestron C8-N

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45337950@N05/4168209590/sizes/l/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45337950@N05/4169504696/sizes/o/

Heres a shot i took with an old Skylux 70mm f/10 alt-az refractor , holding my Digital camera to the EP . Nothing too fancy lol , This scope is coming up on sale in Lidel for about €69 i think on th 10th Dec , the version i had i got a good few years ago and the mount that came with it was far far better than the one that comes with this one as far as i can tell from the picture of it on the their site , just in case anyones interested in checking it out ;-) For that kind of money it was excellent value !!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45337950@N05/4168227900/sizes/l/

A little video i made of the moon the same night with the Skylux 70mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45337950@N05/4167522027/

After seeing your pics i must have a try with the Celestron C8-N at the next full moon and see what detail i can get in a higher mag !! and maybe buy an adapter for a camera too .

Great shots Calchas , very very well done indeed !!

254mm newtonian (sky watcher) for this shot

For anyone with a ccd webcam and an aldi scope. You may get far better results than you think.
    Calchas

stargate

for an afocal shot that video shows a lot.

254mm newtonian (sky watcher) for this shot

For anyone with a ccd webcam and an aldi scope. You may get far better results than you think.
    Calchas

Calchas i almost bought the 254mm newtonian (sky watcher) :p , i was within 1 day of ordering from the uk when i was offered the C8-N , The skywatcher are a lovely scope , do you have any pics of the scope itself , would love to see them calchas ?

I do somewhere, I'll look it out and post.

I do somewhere, I'll look it out and post.

Thanks calchas ;)

• Advertisement

Aww thanks calchas , dont know how to explain it but i have a love for that particular scope , as i say i was very very close to buying one lol , i was about to order one and within a few hours was offered the Celestron 8" and as it was in Dublin i opted for that ......very pleased with it too may i add ,

Lovely scope calchas :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sleepeee

Thank you I have used your picture as my desktop background. I keep forgetting I changed it and every time I turn off or on my computer I see your moon and makes me smile :):):):)

Sleepeee wrote: »
    Thank you I have used your picture as my desktop background. I keep forgetting I changed it and every time I turn off or on my computer I see your moon and makes me smile :):):):)

I never turn off my computer Sleepeee ;) i think its been on now since 1999 :D

Advertisement