Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amp Cooling

Options
  • 05-12-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads, quick question.

Im bidding on some cheap 2nd hand cases for my gear(some is yet to be bought). I'm amateur(I've done one 18th) and hope to be doing a few parties over the holidays/next summer. If I have my gear backing onto the crowd I'd like to keep the rear lid in place and just run the speakons and power out one corner. A pint spilt on the vents at the back of my amp could be troublesome.

My amp is a T.Amp 1050 running 2x525 at 4Ohm or 2x350 at 8. I wont be pusing it the full way, but it'll be kept busy for a few hours. If I leave 1U free on the front above the amp for ventilation will that be enough? I plan to have a rack CD deck and a 1U Mixer in there with it, and a Midi and Laptop on the top.

All opinions welcome,
    TIA,
    Lethal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

http://cgi.ebay.ie/2u-19-Vented-Steel-Rack-Panel_W0QQitemZ160382341132QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ?hash=item255788500c
    Vented plates are a godsend when it comes to this stuff, airflow is vital if you want the amps to stay cool and alive.
    You didn't say how big a rack case you have, personally i prefer multiple small cases as
    rack get very heavy very fast, and 19" is just small enough to fit thru most doors but put a pair of hands either side and you've got skinned knuckles,
    i've built all my connections onto a blanking plate at the back and filled every other u with vented plates, this lets air in but keeps liquids and fingers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The ones I'm currently bidding on are 6 and 8. The amp is heavy, but everything else is light enough. Shlould be manageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

are the cases ply or chip, ply is stronger and lighter, chip is cheap but weighs a ton.
    generally ply cases will be painted or have a sheet of aluminium covering the wood,
    while chip cases nearly always have a carpet finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Quiggers wrote: »
    are the cases ply or chip, ply is stronger and lighter, chip is cheap but weighs a ton.
    generally ply cases will be painted or have a sheet of aluminium covering the wood,
    while chip cases nearly always have a carpet finish.

Weaker but lighter, polycarbonate:)

Need some stickers to paste all over it...

Advertisement