Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with cement floor.

Options
  • 05-12-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

I hope someone can give me a bit of advice with a cement floor I got in a shed recently. I had a cement floor but it was cracking so I got it resurfaced. But since it was done, there is a lot of "cement dust" coming off the floor. Everytime I sweep it up, it always comes back. It's not just a bit of dust, it is a lot which is very annoying.
    Would the problem be that the cement/sand mixture wasn't made up right at the time.
    Is there anyway I can solve this myself without having to get another floor in. Is there any kind of liquid out there that can be painted over the cement to seal it in. I'd really appreciate any help because at the rate it is coming off, I'm not going to have a floor left.

Comments

you can get "garage floor" paint, this is designed to seal concrete floors.
    Any decent DIY shop should have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Graceland

Thanks for the reply. I'll definetly get this on Monday. Would you know of any good brands or would any of them do.

Sorry, don't know, I only used it once a few years ago and can't remember the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I had this problem a few years ago and I had some Thompsons water seal left over in a tin so I just threw it here and there on the floor and used a mop to spread it. Worked a treat.

Just so you know the water seal was originally bought for use on the walls to help prevent water penetration on a single block wall. Floor sealer may well be cheaper to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Graceland

I might try that Thompsons water seal. Hopefully it will solve my problem. If it was only a bit of cement dust it wouldn't bother me at all, but it is a good bit. Would that have been the problem in the first place - that the cement/sand mix wasn't right - maybe too much sand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement