Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying problem with FSX hanging / crashing

Options
  • 05-12-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've got FSX Deluxe SP2 installed on my PC. I've an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5GHz with 6Gb Ram and an ATI HD 4850 512Mb Video Card. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit. I've got a Just Flight Warrior plane add-on installed.

Anyhow, when I'm flying in FSX sometimes it just hangs, the engine noise continues but the screen freezes and after maybe 10 seconds it quits and Windows says there was a problem and I've to close the program. It doesn't matter which plane I'm flying. It seems to happen after a while ( say 30 mins or so ) and especially if I open up the menu to check the map or something like that. But it doesn't always happen when I use the menus.

This used to happen when I was running Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit ( before I upgraded to Windows 7 ) but when it happened there it just stayed at the frozen screen / engine noise and I had to use Task Manager to close the program myself. I'm guessing it's the same problem, but Windows 7 just handles it slightly differently by closing it itself.

I thought upgrading to Windows 7 might have fixed the problem, but it didn't. I then completely uninstalled FSX and installed it again, without adding the Warrior add-on, but it still happened.

It's very annoying, as it means I can't really use it for longer than 30mins or so and it hangs. I thought maybe it was some weird overheating of the Video Card, but even when I manually set the Video Card fan speed to 50% or higher, it still happens. To be honest, I haven't yet been able to narrow it down to one definite cause ( i.e., it's not always after 30 mins, or it's not always when I choose Map or another option from the menu while flying ).

Any idea what might be causing this? Thanks!

J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

Same thing happens to me, when i try to use a menu sometimes it hangs and crashes. No idea why..

Im on Vista Home Premium btw not 7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭jasonb

It doesn't bother me too much if I'm just practising my checklists or stalls or whatever, but if I decide to do a full flight from Dublin to say Liverpool and it hangs with 10 mins to go, that's very annoying!

Still haven't figured out why it's happening yet. Event Viewer says the fsx.exe file crashes with terrain.dll and I've searched for that online and all I've seen is suggestions to repair FSX. That's not even an option if you have SP2 installed...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

It doesnt work, i have FSX SE + Acceleration, and ive uninstalled and reinstalled both about 3 times, i was JUST practising an ils flight from belfast to dublin, landed, and wanted to check the landing, so clicked options to go to instant replay, and crashed to desktop... they need to fix this..its happening a LOT of people.

Advertisement