Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car, what paperwork do i need?

Options
  • 05-12-2009 2:24pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought a car today but since the owner is restricted in his time i hope someone here can tell me exactly what i have to get from him to call the car mine.

Can anyone tell me the procedure to register the car in my name please?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

He is required to fill in the new ownder details on the back of the VLC and post it to shannon - they will then update it and post you a new one.

With regard to him restricited in his time, don't let this stop you from giving the car and all the documentation all a good look over.
    Take your time, never mind his.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Thanks for the reply.

The owner is not a stranger to me.
    Car is serviced and nct'ed this week.
    The administration side of this is more of a worry than the car.

ok, but verify the VIN no, chassic no, no of previos owners etc matches the paperwork.

Quick tip, if you want to expediate the process - take along a stamp addressed envelope and provide it to the vendor and get the form filled out and into the envelope it goes, sealed.

Then offer to drop it in the post box on your way home - then you have peace of mind its sorted.

address it to ;
    Department of the Environment, Heritage & Local Government
    Department of Transport, Shannon Town Centre, Shannon, Co. Clare.

Well... the deal is off anyway now.
    Owner had an accident yesterday :(

Was already getting frustrated trying to find an reasonable insurance for it. Zurich didnt even want to quote me :eek:

inforfun wrote: »
    Well... the deal is off anyway now.
    Owner had an accident yesterday :(

Was already getting frustrated trying to find an reasonable insurance for it. Zurich didnt even want to quote me :eek:

sorry to hear that.........still plenty more fish in the sea ehhhhhhhhhhhh

• Advertisement

sorry to hear that.........still plenty more fish in the sea ehhhhhhhhhhhh

True enough.
    But i am looking for a car for a while now and i was actually glad i decided to take this one. I knew the owner had to sell because he is leaving the country so i think i had a rather ok deal (considering the recent service and 2 years nct)

Currently i am renting a car for almost 4 weeks now and i do have to bring that one back at 1 point (at €11 a day it is hard to hand back a 6 month old Astra...)
    I guess i ll justy wait now what happens to the fuel price and other car related stuff in the Budget and take my holidays first. Then start looking again in january.

Advertisement