Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sensible closing times for us to djs to play longer???

Options
  • 05-12-2009 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

now we're more lisbon than oirish maybe we will come into line with rest of europe and see a massive resurgance in our nations clubbing habits sooner rather than later

what do youse think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Bloody hope so! I only got a dozen or so nights out when clubs didn't close at 2:30am, and most nights I go out now, I'm in no way whatsoever in the mood to go home!

Would love for the closing hours to be pushed back even if its just for acts we go and see could played longer, and in turn more enjoyable sets and no scenes like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

whats the story there, did he think he had 20 but was told 2 or visa versa?

i dj'd round manchester for years and there is later licences available there but most venues still stick to the 2:30 drink up and **** off policy. as the night goes on people drink less and so the venues see it as diminished returns, still paying staff, door men, and dj when the drink sales have slowed doesn't make much business sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Quiggers wrote: »

i dj'd round manchester for years and there is later licences available there but most venues still stick to the 2:30 drink up and **** off policy. as the night goes on people drink less and so the venues see it as diminished returns, still paying staff, door men, and dj when the drink sales have slowed doesn't make much business sense.

this is exactly what would happen in this country if premises were allowed to open/serve later. By 2:30 most people who want to keep going would like to keep the music going while they are still up on whatever they're on....and more than likely that's not going to be alcohol.

whats the story there, did he think he had 20 but was told 2 or visa versa?

Told he had 20mis left at about 2am!

The rest makes sense i suppose. I wonder if a club exploited this níche, paid for this late license (attracting customers), hiked up the drink prices by a € or 2 (possible detering?), would it be worth their while? Then again obviously not if nobody's done it, the costs involved obviously don't outweigh the potential income!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

He seems to be the reluctant performer, shows how ready made his set is that he panicks at having 20 mins to fill.

If one venue in every city adopted longer hours on a saturday nite then they'd make a return on the costs, dublin, limerick, cork, galway could support one club each, dublin maybe 2,but they're making a killing with the get your partying done between 10 and 2 rush that we have at the moment and i dont see why they'd like to stretch out their hours, people generally only have so much in their pockets when they go out, and later hours probably wont change that, infact late bars are making things difficult for clubs.
    causing clubs to offer free before 12 and cheaper beer prices inside.
    Saying that, my local club is €15 on a saturday nite with a no-name DJ. But thats the joy of having a monopoly in a fairly big town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Obviously it doesn't effect me living in England, but yes the licensing laws in Ireland are draconian,they haven't always been like that but in recent times unfortunately that's the way it is,shocking when you consider the vast majority of city's in Europe open all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

I Don't even bother clubbing in Ireland anymore, opening hours are from prehistoric times, and it won't change any time soon

He seems to be the reluctant performer, shows how ready made his set is that he panicks at having 20 mins to fill.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Saying that, my local club is €15 on a saturday nite with a no-name DJ

****, thats depressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Hawk Wing wrote: »
    I Don't even bother clubbing in Ireland anymore, opening hours are from prehistoric times, and it won't change any time soon

Unfortunately your right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Yes opening times are a bit of an annoyance in Ireland, but to be honest i think it can be seen as a positive thing.

The fact that the clubs close at half 2 or 3 always ensures that people are still buzzing off their rocker when they get out of the club and theres nearly always an after party to go to.

I have meet a lot of really sound people due to this fact over my few years of techno clubbing.

Advertisement