Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lack of Power - 2001 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi

Options
  • 05-12-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Recently bought the above car. Its driving fine through the gears but once you hit 70mph that's it, the power is gone and it won't go any faster (now I know you're not supposed to anyway before anyone points it out to me!) unless aided by a downward slope.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I know it was a taxi before so could there be a restricter in it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If it was a taxi, Id say its been around the world a few times. Is the engine generally good.
    Does it just gradually run out of steam around 70 or is there a more sudden drop off.
    It coud be anything from air flow meter or maybe a slightly binding brake. having been a taxi, its possibly that the engine is finished. Is it smoky?

Be prepared for many tdi jokes to follow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

Thanks for the reply mickdh,

this is just it, there's only 120k on the clock and its a very sudden drop once you hit approx 70. i can't make sense out of it?

i know its been off the road for a while and it only flew through the nct yesterday?

i'll be bringing it to the garage but just wanted to get "boards" opinions first!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I taxi would do more than 120,000 miles in one year. How old is the car and how long was it a taxi?
    Sudden drop off would be down to a sensor Id say. get a diagnostic

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

The fins in the turbo can also stick on the tdi,turbo can be taken of and repaired but save urself a hole lot of hassel and un necessary work get a proper mechanic to do full diagnostics on it.It will work out cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

paddy2008 wrote: »
    The fins in the turbo can also stick on the tdi,turbo can be taken of and repaired but save urself a hole lot of hassel and un necessary work get a proper mechanic to do full diagnostics on it.It will work out cheaper in the long run.

Does the 90bhp tdi have a variable vane turbo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

Not sure done a couple my self but all were 130 bhp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

does anyone think it could be the mass air filter by any chance?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

does anyone think it could be the mass air filter by any chance?

Sounds like what happened when it went on my 90bhp 99 Passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It needs a remap. Then it'll ate Evos, Skoobers and them vtack Civics off the line.

Advertisement