Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veteran Walt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Saw that on another forum. Funny thing he looks familiar to me. He's apparently wearing medals that span the period from WW2 to Korea, Falklands and the first Gulf war. With enough medals for bravery that he should be a household name. He really overplayed his hand there. Clown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Don't British Veterans get Regimental Ties too? Maybe thats a personal thing for them
    but check out the one he's wearing!
    I can't get over the fact he had the bollox to wear the Tan beret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Gotcha, you twat.
    A carpenter who marched alongside war heroes wearing an impossible collection of military medals has been arrested on suspicion of deception.
    Roger Day, 61, was pictured at a Remembrance Day parade wearing 17 medals including the Distinguished Service Order and Military Cross - the highest bravery awards after the Victoria Cross - as thousands cheered from the pavements.

When he was confronted about the medals last week, Mr Day, a keen amateur actor, claimed the collection was 'Pukka', claiming he had served in the SAS and could not talk about his heroics because he was bound by the Official Secrets Act.

But today it emerged married Mr Day had been arrested on suspicion of 'wearing military medals without authority as to be calculated to deceive'.

A Warwickshire Police spokesman said he was arrested under section 197 of the Army Act 1955, which makes wearing decorations without authority a criminal offence, after attending a police station for a pre-arranged appointment. He was bailed to report back to police in January.

A drive to identify the mystery medal wearer was launched after he was pictured wearing a beige SAS beret amongst 600 war veterans marching in the centre of Bedworth, Warwickshire, on November 11.

Military experts said no single serviceman could have been awarded all of the medals, which included campaign awards for both the Korean war - which ended when Mr Day was at primary school - and the Falklands, medals for both officers and other ranks, and foreign decorations.

Mr Day was tracked down to his three-bedroom detached home in Earl Shilton, near Hinckley, Leicestershire, where he lives with younger wife Maxine.

Citing the Official Secrets Act, he told reporters: 'They're all proper, pukka campaign medals. Medals I won in conflicts while I was serving with the British forces.

'All I can say is South Atlantic, the Gulf, Kuwait and one or two other stations.'

Day strode alongside 600 genuine war heroes wearing a beige SAS beret and an impossible selection of military medals and badges

It then emerged that Mr Day - dubbed Captain Fantasy by neighbours - had served just 14 months in the Army in the 1970s before dropping out because he apparently couldn't 'hack the pace'.

An Army insider said: 'There is absolutely no connection between the man's name, rank and date of birth to anything he claims to have been awarded for. It is pure fantasy.

'He was in the Army for less than two years. His service history is extremely thin and there is no record of him being awarded a medal or even serving a tour of duty.

'It looks like he left the Army for no other reason than being unable to hack the pace.'

Former friends also claim Mr Day had claimed to be part of the SAS team that ended the Iranian Embassy siege in 1980, whilst regulars at his local pub, The Plough, said he was once thrown out after wearing an SAS badge to the pub.

One regular said: 'One of the lads who was a soldier pulled him up on it because no one from the regiment would ever wear an official pin badge in a non-military capacity.

'He started getting very jittery and aggressive...and I asked him to leave.'

Mr Day refused to comment on his arrest yesterday.

But a spokesman for Hinckley Ex-Servicemen's club said it has launched an investigation and may expel Mr Day from the organisation.

Secretary Paul Savage said: 'Roger doesn't deserve to be a member of this club.

'He even sang a song he'd written about our boys in Afghanistan just days before the memorial day parade in November and urged people to get behind the heroes.

'Everyone here is shocked that he has pulled the wool over so many people's eyes. We are having a meeting of the club to discuss his membership which will almost certainly mean his membership is terminated.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1235123/Bogus-SAS-veteran-arrested-caught-parading-impossible-medal-haul.html?ITO=1708&referrer=yahoo#ixzz0ZP9TKFWo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I'm amazed someone didn't chin him. W*nker.

This is all over another Forum but there will only be one King of the Walts in my book. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Shortt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Hard Larry wrote: »
    saw this in the London Indo the other week and thought it unbelievable.:eek:
    but the Daily Mail how could you Hard Larry *washes eyes*:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Speaking of, I wonder how Baron Castleshort is doing? I've not had the inclination to look up the ARRSE thread on the issue.

NTM

The way things are going I reckon ARRSE is the least of this guys worries. Seems he called them Scum...not a very clever thing to do to incur the wrath of both serving and Ex heads of the British Forces, who are now claiming Stolen valour as this mans worst offence. Despicable behaviour and indefensible.

The Barons:rolleyes: own Organisation is trying to distance themselves from him, his carry on has cast a major reflection on said firm. I'm sure we've all seen the pics and vids? If not I'd be happy to stick up one or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Walt-Finder

Speaking of, I wonder how Baron Castleshort is doing? I've not had the inclination to look up the ARRSE thread on the issue.

NTM

even more old contacts have joined the ARRSE discussions and have added additional bits of information. shortt seems to be concentrating on his eastern empire these days and is attempting rebranding his joke operation under different titles. i think business may not be as good as it used to be. :)

I'm trying to figure out how he lives and operates his International operation out of Ireland? as in the ROI Claiming to be Ex this, Ex that, and Ex the other.

BG and CP Training courses rolled out of Hotels around the country and overseas, monies payed into accounts in his name by bankdraft or in cash!! photos of guys toting RIF 5's all done up in black kit (I wonder have the ARW or EH heard of him??) Claimed Titles of Barony....Alarm bells ringing yet or is it just me?

James Shortt has been doing this for a very long time now, over the last while it has came to light that his claims of Military service are...to put it mildly, embellished. My reasons for the interest in this individual are my own, but again if the mod's want a word, just PM me and I'll fill them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Its amazing how these lads can firmly install themselves in positions of power. Through elaborate screens of waffle. And by all accounts make themselves a living out of their lies. There are more than a few of them working in the "Private Security" arena which can ultimately end up in the poor bastards popping clogs!

Another choice Walt that a few of us on this side of the water may of had dealings with is Graeme Taylor http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Graeme_Taylor chap even went as far to organize a charity run for the Commando Benevolent fund. That teams from the Irish DF had been competing up until this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Fascinating. I've known the guy. Very likeable. I don't recall that he ever made any extravagant claims to me. I last met him when he had brought a group of jumpers to California to set a high-altitude parachuting record.

There is always that small group of walts you have to treat with a little compassion. There was a fairly famous incident in the US about two years back of a Marine Corps Brigadier General who was a popular character on the speaking circuit and used his weight to lobby to improve the lot of veterans. Got various pieces of legislation passed. Finally turned out he had been discharged during Basic in WWII due to medical injury.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Walt-Finder

Fascinating. I've known the guy. Very likeable. I don't recall that he ever made any extravagant claims to me. I last met him when he had brought a group of jumpers to California to set a high-altitude parachuting record.

There is always that small group of walts you have to treat with a little compassion. There was a fairly famous incident in the US about two years back of a Marine Corps Brigadier General who was a popular character on the speaking circuit and used his weight to lobby to improve the lot of veterans. Got various pieces of legislation passed. Finally turned out he had been discharged during Basic in WWII due to medical injury.

NTM

so he never called himself a baron back then?

Fascinating. I've known the guy. Very likeable. I don't recall that he ever made any extravagant claims to me. I last met him when he had brought a group of jumpers to California to set a high-altitude parachuting record.NTM

Small world isn't it! And the Net has made it all the smaller these days. When you say high-altitude record are we talking about a HALO Manic?

so he never called himself a baron back then?

I think Manic was referring to Mr. Taylor. a few people probably know him from Jump courses. Our experience of him on the Cdo. run was that he was an affable and accomodating individual. But that does not take away from the walts mass deception. He's done great work with the benevolent fund and its a shame that this charity has been marred by fantasism.

No-one will be sending teams over this year to compete as very few will touch a walting event with a large stick...which is a shame.

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I think Manic was referring to Mr. Taylor. a few people probably know him from Jump courses. Our experience of him on the Cdo. run was that he was an affable and accomodating individual. But that does not take away from the walts mass deception. He's done great work with the benevolent fund and its a shame that this charity has been marred by fantasism.

No-one will be sending teams over this year to compete as very few will touch a walting event with a large stick...which is a shame.

Ahh I assumed the same, my mistake. Thanks Bigduffman.

Ignore my last Manic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

This reminded me of this story a while back

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/fake-pow-to-plead-guilty-20091106-i10f.html
    Article wrote:
    A Brisbane man who allegedly received $400,000 in war pension payments after fraudulently claiming to be Australia's youngest prisoner of war will plead guilty to two criminal charges.

Arthur Rex Crane, the former president of the Ex-Prisoners of War Association of Australia, appeared briefly in the Brisbane Magistrates Court yesterday.

He was charged with fraud and obtaining a financial advantage by deception.

Crane, 83, stood still and looked towards the magistrate as his lawyer indicated he would plead guilty at the next court appearance.

The defence successfully sought an adjournment to February 12 next year.

Crane, wearing a suit and holding an Akubra hat, did not speak in court today. He will be released on bail.

The allegations about his fraud surfaced publicly last month, prompting his step-granddaughter Caroline Smalley, 27, to declare she felt "embarrassed and insulted".

Crane did not say a word as he left court.

The Sydney Morning Herald revealed last month Crane had claimed he had been abandoned in Malaya at the age of 15, when the Japanese invaded, and was forced to enlist in a volunteer militia.

He allegedly told his family and friends he had been tortured by Japanese soldiers at the Outram Road Jail and on the Thailand-Burma Railway.

However, three military historians allegedly discovered he was attending Adelaide High School in 1941, about the same time he claimed to have been forced to join the Kedah Volunteer Force in Malaya.

Since 1988, he had allegedly received the highest available pension for incapacitated soldiers, as well as a Commonwealth Gold Card to cover medical expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

Man jailed for faking Army career

Published on Sunday 28 August 2011 08:53

A military historian from Reading who faked an illustrious Army career has been jailed for three years after a court heard he suffered a disorder preventing him telling fact from fiction.

For decades John Livesey, known as Jack, told friends, colleagues and his closest family that he had served with distinction in the Parachute Regiment.

He even claimed on his website that he had advised production crews working on the films Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers.

In fact his army career amounted to a stint in the Catering Corps between 1971 and 1974.

The 57-year-old's lies came to light following his conviction for benefit fraud in 2004 when he produced references from genuine veterans who had been taken in by him.

Earlier this month he was found guilty of perverting the course of justice at Peterborough Crown Court. Passing sentence, Judge Nic Madge said: "Much of your life since 1974 has been a lie."

Roger Harrison, in mitigation, said his client had been diagnosed with histrionic personality and dependent personality disorders. He said this meant his client could not tell "fact from fiction".

Livesey was caught out after he falsely claimed £30,000 in benefits while working at Duxford's Imperial War Museum. He told those who knew him he reached the rank of Colour Sergeant and that he was awarded a medal for gallantry after serving in the Falklands and Northern Ireland.

But police investigations found Livesey had misled everyone who knew him. In truth, he was discharged from the army in 1974 after he threw himself from a bedroom window in an apparent suicide attempt following a four-month spell in Northern Ireland.

Livesey, of Purley-on-Thames, near Reading, Berkshire, denied perverting the course of justice at Peterborough Crown Court but was convicted earlier this month. As well as jailing Livesey for three years, the judge ordered that he pay £3,500 in prosecution costs.

Copyright (c) Press Association Ltd. 2011, All Rights Reserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

sure he did no harm

Right seeing this is the nearest thing we have relating to a Walt finder thread I'm going to stick this here.

Right we have a TCD student with an IT / "Psychology" background, who went from watching a neighbour pissing out his window, then coming up with the genius idea of setting up a chip van in a tobacco plantation to attract some good looking teenage girls, after inherriting some shooting land, realized that women may find a uniform attractive and transformed to a hard as nails RMC in the space of 6 months. Somewhere in this whirlwind space of time he has had the time to come back to Ireland and develop an entirely new military themed exercise initiative? No names now lads as this could get even more interesting
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

iceage wrote: »
    BG and CP Training courses rolled out of Hotels around the country and overseas, monies payed into accounts in his name by bankdraft or in cash!! photos of guys toting RIF 5's all done up in black kit (I wonder have the ARW or EH heard of him??) Claimed Titles of Barony....Alarm bells ringing yet or is it just me?
    Alarm bells indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Right seeing this is the nearest thing we have relating to a Walt finder thread I'm going to stick this here.

Right we have a TCD student with an IT / "Psychology" background, who went from watching a neighbour pissing out his window, then coming up with the genius idea of setting up a chip van in a tobacco plantation to attract some good looking teenage girls, after inherriting some shooting land, realized that women may find a uniform attractive and transformed to a hard as nails RMC in the space of 6 months. Somewhere in this whirlwind space of time he has had the time to come back to Ireland and develop an entirely new military themed exercise initiative? No names now lads as this could get even more interesting
    :P

Any more on this, or are ya taking the mick!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

discus wrote: »
    Any more on this, or are ya taking the mick!?

Its ongoing, but his horizons have moved seaward now. He wants to be alone with some seamen I understand.

Advertisement