Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 Resource site? (PS2-Newz and PS2-Ownz have become PS3 orientated)

Options
  • 05-12-2009 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads! I got a PS2 a few months ago that had been modded. I don't know the chip model used in it as the person who sold it to me didn't know much about modding. I know that it has a Matrix Infinity chip in it from the preload screen when I run a game with firmware 1.99 and I found that its a PAL SCPH-70004 machine from the back of it and that its the slim version but thats where it ends for me.

I know that its possible to install an HDD which I would like to do but I don't know where to look to do it. I'd also be interested in installing apps for it. Since my brother modded my xbox1 and I learnt about modding through the same process, we'd be interested in doing the modding ourselves but the problem is that I can't find any sites with tutorials on HDD installation. If there is a PS2 modding site that its the equivalent to xbox scene, could anyone pass it on to me?

One last thing as well, I know that the chip is meant to allow to play PS1 games (PAL/US/JAP) but when I tried loading up a backup, I got the red cloud screen with the message "Please insert a PS1/PS2 game disc" so would anyone know how to get past this as well? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Hey lads! I got a PS2 a few months ago that had been modded. I don't know the chip model used in it as the person who sold it to me didn't know much about modding. I know that it has a Matrix Infinity chip in it from the preload screen when I run a game with firmware 1.99 and I found that its a PAL SCPH-70004 machine from the back of it and that its the slim version but thats where it ends for me.

I know that its possible to install an HDD which I would like to do but I don't know where to look to do it. I'd also be interested in installing apps for it. Since my brother modded my xbox1 and I learnt about modding through the same process, we'd be interested in doing the modding ourselves but the problem is that I can't find any sites with tutorials on HDD installation. If there is a PS2 modding site that its the equivalent to xbox scene, could anyone pass it on to me?

One last thing as well, I know that the chip is meant to allow to play PS1 games (PAL/US/JAP) but when I tried loading up a backup, I got the red cloud screen with the message "Please insert a PS1/PS2 game disc" so would anyone know how to get past this as well? Thanks.

and
    NOTICE!!
    On turning on the PS2 the Infinity will start to llok for the Joypad in slot 1.
    If no Joypad is present the Infinity will keep on looking for it for about 10/15 seconds.
    The screen will remain BLACK in these 15 seconds.
    After the time elapses Infinity will boot the PS2 normally.

Boot of PS2- PS1- DVD Movies:
    Simply insert the Back-Up copy of your original game inside the PS2.
    The infinity will recognize the kind of disk you inserted and select the appropriate boot system.

Turning Off the Infinity:
    Press start from Joypad 1 until the writing "DISABLED" will appear on screen.
    Press once reset button.
    The Ps2 will reset and the Infinity is now disabled until PS2 turned off to Standby Position.

Fast Boot of PS2 Games:
    Press select from Joypad 1.
    PS2 Logo will be skipped and game will boot directly.

Launching Memory card applications:
    Press Triangle from Joypad 1.

Forcing PS1/DVD mode:
    Press the circle from Joypad 1.
    (We placed this option just in case someone need to force the PS2 to boot in PS1/DVD mode).

Forcing Auto Mode (From V1.31)
    Press CROSS on joypad 1.
    Useful to temporarily skip the default boot mode when set to something other than AUTO.

Loading Application in Memory Card
    To load applications in memory card and manage them you need to use the "Infinity Manager".
    Please check the "Software Upgrade" section from the Infinity product page.

LAUNCHING MEMORY CARD APPLICATIONS:
    - Press TRIANGLE on joypad 1.
    - If installed, the Infinity Manager will appear and show a list of installed applications.
    -or-
    - Press R1 on joypad 1.
    - If installed, the default boot application (mc0:BOOT/BOOT.ELF) will be launched.

Entering Configuration Menu:
    To enter the configuration menu press TRIANGLE + CIRCLE during PS2 Boot Up

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Thanks for the info but that video is to install in a phat PS2, not the slim one I have. I really would need a site that would explain from the beginning of modding to dealing with the actual mod afterward because I read about installing programs like HDLoader or other programs but I don't know how to install/run these programs because I can't find any explanations on how to install software on to the PS2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The HD exploit can only be used on Phat Ps2's. There'sno way of getting a HDD in a slimline PS2. There is however a similar method to allow you to boot games up from a USB drive but I've no experience of it so can't point you in the right direction. You'll probably need to download one of the action replays that allow you to copy files from a usb drive to a memory card. This transfers over a program that will boot up when a certain PS1 game is in the drive.

As for your problem with PS1 games, it sounds like you aren't using the right boot method for your chip. Usually when you want to boot up PS1 games you have to turn your PS2 on in a different way. It can range from holding the power button down for 2 seconds to having to press the power button twice quickly after the blue light comes on like with my chip.I'd look it up if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

As retr0 says, the installed HD exploit only works for a phat ps2 but you can use an external usb HD.

All you need is the ability to launch an elf file. I'm sure that your modchip will have that capability. You can either get your modchip to launch the usbadvance.elf file or else get it to load an app called uLaunchElf and then load usbadvance from there.

Here are a few links that i came across: here, here and here. A good place to get apps is here.

So, you need to load games onto usb using the usbUtil app. Then copy the usbadvance.elf to your usb HD (or usb stick). Then somehow get your modchip to launch usbadvance!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Cheers for all the info lads :). Really appreciate it.

Yeah, I found the stumbling block, Infinity Manager. I'd keep reading about installing HDDs but then the lad who wrote the tutorial would just say "Install this app" but wouldn't give any directions on how to so I found the guide about installing infinity manager on SKS Apps which would allow me to install apps onto the memory card/usb stick afaik and then hopefully allow me to connect an external drive that it can read when I get the Team Xtender kit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement