Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired Broadband in hotels etc

Options
  • 04-12-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I haven't brought a computer with me when travelling in the past but now that I have a new netbook I will be. I'm wondering what to look out for or how to troubleshoot connecting to WIRED broadband. How is access usually controlled, do you just plug in the RJ45 and it works? Or is there usually some security like a WEP key that would be used in the wireless case ? If I'm only spending a single night in a place I don't wan't waste a couple of hours waiting for their 'tech guy' to show me how to get connected. So what should I look out for or be aware of in advance ? To compound potential problems the new machine has Windows 7 on it, I am very familiar with windows XP but haven't used Win7 before, are there any new security features in Windows 7 that might complicate connecting ?

Thanks,

Oisín.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

I've used the wired and wireless broadband in a few hotels. Usually there will be a section in those welcome packs that are in the rooms about the internet connections they offer.

If it's free it'll be plug the (most times supplied) network cable into network port and work away. Free wireless is usually an unsecured network like at a hotspot. Just find it and connect.

If ya have to pay it's pretty much the same for wired just it'll be charged to the room. Not sure how they charge for the wireless never used a hotel that charges for it.

In all cases just make sure dhcp is turned on for whichever connection your using. I wouldn't worry about the version of windows your running. I've used XP and Vista laptops while travelling and had no issues. Windows 7 is just what Vista was supposed to be imho.

If a hotel had an IT guy at hand for any connection issues I'd be pleasently surprised coz it's a complete waste of time really, most people never have issues.

Advertisement