Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jag X-type

Options
  • 04-12-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Anyone any views on the Jag X-Type ? I know they are on the same platform as the Fords, still seem good value at 5-7K for an '02-'04 Jag, especially if the spec is good with leather, auto etc. Any views on the best engine ?
    2.0 petrol seems to have a bad rep - what about the 2.5 V6 ?

Anyone any ideas as an alternative to this for the same money if they think the Jag is a bad buy ? Criteria is automatic, leather, interesting ......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

COB MGV8 wrote: »
    Anyone any views on the Jag X-Type ? I know they are on the same platform as the Fords, still seem good value at 5-7K for an '02-'04 Jag, especially if the spec is good with leather, auto etc. Any views on the best engine ?
    2.0 petrol seems to have a bad rep - what about the 2.5 V6 ?

Anyone any ideas as an alternative to this for the same money if they think the Jag is a bad buy ? Criteria is automatic, leather, interesting ......

The best engines are the diesels (I'm biased because I own one) but they didn't come in automatic until recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Viejo Zorro

Agreed, great diesel engine... Ask your local dealer to source one in the UK. This way you can hold him responsible if it is clocked instead of having to seek redress outside the jurisdiction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

COB MGV8 wrote:
    I know they are on the same platform as the Fords

This is a plus actually, as it's based on the Mondeo which was very good. The 2.5 is supposed to be decent. It's not supposed to be the most exciting drive though.

The interior seems a bit of a let down though - compared to something like the Rover 75 which I think looks great.

If you're happy with a saloon, then a big engine 3 series might be an option, as they tend to depreciate a good bit more than the equivalent coupes. You need to get a well specced one though, as an e46 with standard trim is a drab place to be.

I like the Lexus GS300 as well, but it's not a driver's car. A Subaru legacy might be an option as well.

If you don't mind going older car and a bigger engine, then you could look at an Audi A8 / BMW 7 Series / Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭COB MGV8

Thanks for that guys ....always liked the Rover 75 (or the MG ZT diesel) as well, I'm slightly nervous about parts availability.

Lexus 300 GS is nice, but I do want a drivers car if possible !

• Registered Users Posts: 28 del420t

I have the 2.0D Sports Premium in Black with black leather/suede trim. Carbon Fibre dash. UK spek - got it 9 months ago for GBP 8.5k 34k miles on a 05 plate. Great value and better spec than the irish models I still get 38mpg city centre driving.

I found it on the UK got RAC inspection then flew over to Liverpool and was picked up in the car. Checked it - paid for it and drove it back the same day. No hassle what so ever.

No complaints or issues - VRT was over priced but challenged the price and got a grand back from the government.

If you want more power they do a 2.2D aswell with more of a body kit on it

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Thanks for that guys ....always liked the Rover 75 (or the MG ZT diesel) as well, I'm slightly nervous about parts availability.
    Don't be, very few parts are unavailable, and there's plenty of supply from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Lexus 300 GS is nice, but I do want a drivers car if possible !

You do know the diesel engine in rover 75 / MG Zt is from BMW?

You do know the diesel engine in rover 75 / MG Zt is from BMW?

I was talking to a guy who has the MG ZT with the 2.0D BMW engine and couldn't praise it enough....as you'll see from my username I have a liking for MGs, and own a BGT.....

Like the sound of the UK spec Jag with the 2.0D engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I also have a ZT with the BMW M47R engine.

Pulls well, and reasonably frugal considering the size of the car it has to lug along. Easy enough to get to ~160bhp without doing much to the car, if power is your goal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Tragedy wrote: »
    Don't be, very few parts are unavailable, and there's plenty of supply from the UK.

Aren't new parts available from whoever's bought all the tooling and building the cars in China now?

• Advertisement

Aren't new parts available from whoever's bought all the tooling and building the cars in China now?

I thought that that was only for the MG TFs, maybe they have plans to start doing the saloon cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Friends gf bought one recently. The purists may not consider it a great Jag (or even worthy of the marque) but in the real world it has a stupendous list of virtues - Mondeo platform, Jag interior - best of all worlds. May not be as good as a 3 series but mucho, muco better in every way than a comparable A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I thought that that was only for the MG TFs, maybe they have plans to start doing the saloon cars

They've been making the Roewe 750 since 2006, which is based on the Rover 75. They've changed the car a good bit though (new interior, new gearbox and some other stuff) so I don't know how many parts are interchangeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Go for the 2.5. The 2 litre is actually almost 2.1, so that puts it a step up in tax over a 2.0, so the difference to tax isn't much. More power and a better engine too. Can't understand Boards facination with the 75, I hated them until I drove one, now I really hate them, the Jag is infinitely better than one in every single measurable way. BMW diesel included!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,922 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I do want a drivers car if possible !

Several of the cars suggested in this thread are fine cars that can now be had for little money. None of the cars are drivers cars though (except the E46 BMW 3-series mentioned by eoin). I would suggest you test drive an E39 BMW 530d auto. You will find a very good one within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I must agree re; the Rover 75.
    All the old smoking jacket fanboi's come out here defending their purchase of this old dreadful yoke.
    Poor build, awful presence and the message you give to people turning up in a rover 75 makes me shudder.:o
    I understand that in the Alan Partridge TV show they were going to have the weedy Alan driving a lexus or a rover 75 - they went for the lexus but the fact they considered the 75 speaks yards.....:rolleyes:
    I know a bloke with an estate model and its been pure shyte, everythings gone wrong including engine issues with the much trumpeted bmw unit.
    And they are unsellable, there's people on here who bang on about how great they are yet are desperately trying to sell theirs as they are WELDED to it. There's no sence in having or extolling the virtues of a Rover 75, no sense whatsoever and it shows what people really know about cars if they do so.

In fairness the OP was enquiring about the x Type. Which is by all means and reviews and having driven one a fantastic car. So why anyone would drop in a ROVER 75 as a substitute is beyond me also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Finally! Some sense in this thread! I thought all the petrol heads on boards were swallowed up by the tweed-jacket brigade and their Rover 75's!
    And back to the original topic, as was just said, the x-type is a good car, if you like it, get it! Apparently the 2.1 (2.0 as it's written more often!) is not spectacular, so 2.5 or 3.0 or diesel is the ones to go for! Next person to suggest a Rover 75 should be banned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

The X-Type is a nice car for the following reason - it's DIFFERENT - and not mainstream.

For that reason (and as well as its a good car), its a good buy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Regardless of its build quality, it's not a driver's car, so all this isn't really helping the OP. The only reason I brought it up was comparing the interiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

op - The x-type is good value in Diesel form. The 2.0 petrol I'm not sure about. Not sure if it has the same issues as the 1.8 (head gasket)??
    The Diesel (2.0) is from PSA (Peugeot, Citroen) and is very good. The 2.2 is a Ford lump and is also very good.
    The car itself, I personally think looks very good. Its different. The interior, apart from the dash, is very comfy.
    If you like the car, test drive some and see what you think.
    100 miles a day, you better get something you like to sit in and drive.

As for the 75.......oh dear.
    Brother in law has one, and I have to admit that nearly every panel is loose inside, enven the door sills are loose when you sit in the car they come adrift and the windows don't even go down to the same depth in the rear.
    When he bought the car the interior was lovely, but it's just falling apart now.
    Then again, thats the only person I know with a 75. I recon there is a good reason for poor residuals, even with the anti rover brigade (Of which I am not btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

The ol lad has a '05 2.0diesel.. I love it.. fantastic engine.. Interior is lovely too, leather, Wood dash, climate, cruise control.. Was sourced from uk so may be better spec..

But yeah super car, love driving it..

I've split the Rover 75 pissing contest debate to a new thread here, as I don't think it's really all that helpful to the OP.

Please keep this on topic.

Advertisement