Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla 1.4 average mileage to full tank

Options
  • 04-12-2009 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi all,

Recently bought a 04 Toyota Corolla from a Toyota main dealer. Low mileage 37k. I'm just under half way through my 1st tank of petrol and have only driven 90 miles!!! Most of my driving has been city-driving in Dublin with stopping and starting in traffic but I can't believe I will only get 200mls to a full tank! I know the fuel economy would be much better on open road.

Was wondering if anyone else drives a 04 toyota corolla 1.4 in the same conditions and gets the same mileage. Or do I need to have a polite chat with the toyota dealer I got it from.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Squawk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Going by a full tank is a very vague and inaccurate way of measuring fuel economy. IIRC your car has a trip computer, use that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Viejo Zorro

I got rid of a 1.3 Starlet a few weeks back which was a glutton for it... returning 25-27mpg... that is Evo consumption...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Going by a full tank is a very vague and inaccurate way of measuring fuel economy. IIRC your car has a trip computer, use that instead.

Going by half a tank is inaccurate, but waiting until the tank is empty should do the job just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The car has very low mileage, and may have been driven quite "sedately" all it's life. As a result, the car may need a good roasting (ie spirited driving, low revs but within the speed limit) for about 50 miles to loosen things up.

I've done that before to a car that was formerly owned by a priest and was drinking juice. It wasn't afterwards. The drive was interesting...........

Edit - The car may have a wonky fuel level sender. How much fuel will it take to fill the tank again?

used to use some 1.4 toyota corollas at work only ever city driving none on open roads. Always sub 30 mpg. sometimes as low as 24mpg but harsh driving conditions such as low gears bad traffic etc Does yours have the fuel consumption computer ? Should be one of the buttons around where the radio is

90 miles for half a tank sounds excessive though! would want to be doing sub 20mpg for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Maybe its been mentioned before but I fill up to a full tank reset the km counter to zero. Then when I see the fuel level is low I fill to a full tank. I see I've done say 800 kms on 40 litres of diesel. Then I see well thats not so bad 5 litres of diesel and 100 kms travelled.

Am I making sence?

Do it everytime just to keep an eye on consumption.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Squawk

Hey all, thanks for the info and yep you are making sense. Will check for fuel consumtion after using full tank. Trip was zero'd when I picked up car with full tank so will keep a note.

Brought the car for a run last night, open road no traffic and difference in mpg was crazy, neddle barely moved for 30-40 miles of driving.

Will keep ya posted.

Advertisement