Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis Fuel Economy

Options
  • 04-12-2009 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Regardless of my username, please note I do not own one at present.
    Looking at the 03-08 Model in either Petrol or Diesel. [1.6 / 2.0]

Owners of the Petrol, what kind of Fuel Economy does it return? How do you reckon it compares against the Diesel? Doing about 15k annually and would prefare the petrol due to cheaper tax and much more of that model about so should be easier to get a hold of one.
    However, if the Petrol seems to drink Petrol like its Water, I might consider the 2.0L Diesel and the Tax you get raped with, with that.

Any thoughts :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you can live with the boring interior, boring drive and just want a machine to move you around, get an avensis. If you like cars at all, get something else

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, one of my previous cars was a 1.8 litre Avensis. I was averaging about 32mpg urban driving but on motorways it would go as high as 38mpg. It's a heavy car and I would not even consider the 1.6 litre as it is underpowered but sold as a Paddy special for motor tax reasons despite only being about €80 extra a year. The 1.8 litre is alot rarer here but they are about and just as cheap if not cheaper than a similar 1.6 litre. Most are also the higher spec Luna model too.

Considering you are only doing 15k miles a year I think that you will not get the return by paying a premium for the diesel version. You are also probably looking at higher mileage on any of the diesels of that age, find yourself a nice 1.8 litre Luna. Not the greatest car to look at or drive but it does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Whats more OP, you'll find very few who post regularly here who drive one on a day to day basis.....for obvious reasons as mickdw summed up nicely:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Damien360

Loads of taxis are petrol 1.6 avensis. Next time you get in one ask the driver. I own an 07 1.6 petrol and the wife drives it all the time. Very short runs around town. Consistently returns 30mpg. A long run will stretch to 40mpg if you are lucky. The 1.6 is underpowered but there are loads of them secondhand and you will get them for little or nothing dealing in cash. The 1.8 is the one to get but they are very hard to get and demanded a premium when I was buying secondhand. No problems whatsoever with anything, cheap to service.

15000km is nothing. Little above a town car average of 12000km. Buy cheap. Tax and fuel costs are minimal compared to the cost to service the loan. You will not see a return on the extra cost to buy the diesel version vs the petrol. Ignore resale values if you intend running it for 5 years or so if you are buying a 3 year old car. The price return on sale will be small for any model and not worth worrying about. The carzone prices are insane. Shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 vbunse

1.8 version lighter on petrol than the 1.6, the 1.6 is the Paddy special as mentioned above but underpowered and tends to labour with the heavy body, any Avensis petrol will be trouble free so no worries there, always held their value until last couple of years but flooding of the market means some great value to be had now with used models. a good 2007 will be had in January for 10,000 approx.... maybe less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm in the minority clearly, driving the dirty diesel version. I do about 30 k miles per year, and get about 500 miles for 50 litres of diesel. Cheap to run, not very exciting, but very safe and reliable.

Diesel has a very heavy clutch actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Thanks for all replies, the view I was looking for was, does owners of the 1.6 feel that they are constantly at the Fuel Pump? Don't want to be getting a car for the guts of 10k and then with the 1.6 Engine Tax (As apposed to 1.4L Corolla) to be constantly filling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Forget about the tax and get a yoke with a proper engine.1.4l corolla will drink fuel and so will a 1.6 avensis, both are horribily underpowered and when you decide to floor it in 4th, you will see the fuel gauge go down in front of your eyes.10k will get you a nice diesel Accord or Mercedes 220cdi ( loads of them in the uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Whats more OP, you'll find very few who post regularly here who drive one on a day to day basis.....for obvious reasons as mickdw summed up nicely:D

Ugh, how about taxi drivers, sure them guys cover more miles than most others to be fair.

I have drove a friends 1998 1.6L avensis once and also test drove a 2004 1.6L avensis. I must say the difference I felt was considerable. The 1998 seemed somewhat surprisignly swift for a 1.6L car of its size. On the other hand the 2004 model felt heavy, slow and underpowered. If you look at it there is a right big body on the car.

Sqaull20 suggests buying the UK. I think things have changed considerably here in the last year or so to be fair. If you are ready to close a quick hassle free cash sale then I'm sure you could drive a good deal for yourself even if you aren't generally the bargaining sort type person. As I say I'd be inclined to shop around in the Republic thoroughly first, and only then consider the UK. VRT is a bloody killer and you can bump up the cost by up to a grand or so to cover travel, ferry, accomodation etc. Also what if something goes wrong with the car? If you are buying fromt the UK be particularly concious of rust on the underbody of the car and in particular if it came from the greater London area.

Advertisement